Square stitcher creep question

Joe_PrePress

Hello everyone,

My company has recently added a Square Stitcher to our bindery and now I'm faced with a 52 page 4 colour job with tight margins to be square bound. As you can see the creep needs to be perfect to produce a high end product.

I'm confused as to how I calculate the creep to achieve this.

Here are the specs...

52 page book
8.5 x 11
80lb matte paper (.005" sheet)

I'd like to enter a positive creep adjustment and my math tells me to enter .26" on the outer shingling field in preps.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Creep calculation

Creep calculation

The formula for creep calculation is:

Number of pages/4 (that gives you the number of sheets) * the paper thickness. For your example, 52/4 = 13, 13 * .005 = .065"

Also, I would be entering this creep value in the Inner field for Preps not the Outer but then we pull pages into the gutter not push them out which would change the finish size.

Steven

Hello everyone,

My company has recently added a Square Stitcher to our bindery and now I'm faced with a 52 page 4 colour job with tight margins to be square bound. As you can see the creep needs to be perfect to produce a high end product.

I'm confused as to how I calculate the creep to achieve this.

Here are the specs...

52 page book
8.5 x 11
80lb matte paper (.005" sheet)

I'd like to enter a positive creep adjustment and my math tells me to enter .26" on the outer shingling field in preps.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your reply ssutton503,

The creep calculation I required was for a square stitcher which is not really a saddlestich book, the square stitcher creates a spine much like a perfect bound book but is still in essence a saddlestich book with a spine.

Square stitched booklets vs Saddlestiched.jpg

So my creep had to include the spine and also maintain the finish size of 8.5 x 11. I ended up using the .26" outer creep and it worked perfectly. Thanks again :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back