Star 400 setup disks

newcan

I know this is crazy but-----does anyone have an idea where I could obtain the setup and documentation disks for a Star 400 rip (more specifically, a Star 400 Multistar)?

I am having a problem: The rip does not seem to have an IP address. From what I can tell, it relied on the now obsolete RARP networking protocol to obtain an IP address for its hardware MAC address. I tried to run RARP server on a W2k machine, but it is too complicated for me to get working, requires registry entires, etc.

The alternative is to amend some boot file on the Star's disk, but to do that, I need the software disks that came with it -- which I do not have.

I am having rip problems all over the place since my old DOS based Stealth rip died (see thread elsewhere). I acquired the Star as a backup to a Viper I am putting together. Any suggestions as to where to get the software would be helpful.

David M

Oh, that's cry from XX century...

I spent about 6 years supporting Star RIPs, but do not have any file and any floppy anymore.
And what would you do when that old SCSI Hard disk (less than 1 MB capacity) corrupted?
Do you have LocalTalk cables and Mac's AGFASet to knock to RIP if it starts not from HD boot-up and PostScript interpreter but from boot ROM?
And so on...
Scrap that crap!!!

Last edited:
ummm.....I have a Viper rip up and running successfully.....I only want to keep the Star around as a backup.....

Everyone tells me to scrap this, scrap that.....but my philosophy is that I will scrap things when they don't work. I've been told to scrap my Proset 9800 "because it will fail." Maybe we should all scrap ourselves because, one day, we all die.

SO the question is whether anyone has a Star 400 setup disk. If not I will (i) see what I can do using conventional serial comms software to see if I can get at the start file to add in an IP address, and/or (ii) switch it to a parallel device and see if I can use a connected PC as the network device.

As I mentioned, my previous rip was a Stealth DOS rip and it did die, and I miss it -- it was more easily controllable than the Viper and, although a little slower, produced excellent results.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back