Starting a new company

spigot

Im toying with the idea of branching out, trying to take on some jobs in a buyer/ 3rd party sense and having the printing done at a few trusted shops. Maybe making a small amount on the side.
I would be doing all the marketing myself, and hunting the work.
If it went ok, could purchase a machine (i have operated many)
Then try and grow it, to be able to have some control of the future.

Problems i can see are
-no work-no work
-not alot of work
-Too much effort in running around with proofs, talking to people, arrangine etc
- Not enough $$ in it to make a bean
- Alot of shops are closing up all over the place, and my reasoning is if these guys cant make it work with 500 jobs a month what chance could a small guy have? ( which could be another thread entirely, What is the biggest cause of failure in print businesses?)

Im just curious for some opinions, .02, even 0.05c is appreciated.
Cheers

Bumping....
clear.gif

What goes down, must come up... new twist on an old theme.. my point being that the economic clime will begin to come good, and at the end of the day some of the fat has been cut, and inefficient companies will be gone. If you decide to go into running your own company go in with your eyes open and a sound business case and be prepared to make that extra effort with regards to client servicing, thats what they want and remember! Working as a broker is difficult but with the right contacts can be profitable, and you know the overheads involved in producing, finishing and packaging good printing; its a heavily capitalised industry that generates many sub industries to support it.

There are many company owners/operators on this forum, hopefully they can give you the input required to make up your mind on this matter... if you go ahead with it and ever need a pressman, give me a call :)

There is so much competition for the work out there, that you will have your work cut out for you.

Even "trusted shops" will be known to shortcut expected quality in favor of higher turn around from time to time they have to many bills to pay also. And any "trusted shop" that sticks by it's principals and sticks with quality no matter what will either be priced high enough that it will make it hard for you to offer competitive pricing for work done by these places on a regular basis. Or if you do find a great "trusted shop" who just naturally does the right thing all the time no matter what, then you are extremely lucky, make friends quickly and be loyal, because it is probably an owner/operator small business that could use the extra support.

Biggest cause (or causes) of failure of business in my opinion, not just print, is to big to fast and lost control, hiring to many people who look great on paper who in turn really just want to practice their own personal business theories with someone else's time and money, lack of communication between people and departments, and not having one actual person who TAKES charge and responsibility. Of course those more apply to bigger businesses then a single ownership does.

The chance you have is as good as anyone else, many of these big print shops and corporations started off with one guy and an idea. Just have to make it work even if it takes years as a part time thing with no profits, you want it, you can do it! But you have to do it.

Remember in most printing your not really selling/offering a product but more of a service to people who have better things to do then to have to deal with you. So be consistent in your service (easier said then done) and don't make anyone regret choosing to work with you.

People are more likely to tell 12 people of a horrible (and probably a exaggerated description) experience, then there are to tell even one person about a good experience.

You have your work cut out for you my friend. But you can do it with enough honest determination.

Brent Weaver
Mankato, MN

P.S.
If you ever do find that one great "trusted shop" that does it all consistently, well then stop in the back and say hello to me!! ha ha ha

One word will sum up if you can make a go of this. NETWORKING!! It will be all in who you know to get started. If you know you have some contacts to give you some work without a bunch of hassle, then you get your feet wet and see if brokering is a fit for you. I do a little myself and yes it can be a hassle. The printers own work will come first so you can get the short straw in production. And they may very well go after the work you are putting in their shop. And yes expect to get run ragged in the beginning. And since price is a major consideration today don't expect this to be a get rich quick scheme. Now here are some positive points: If you have the right work going into the right place and your customer is a trusted business partner, it will only take one event of a salesperson going after your work and you can take that work right away from the printer and slowly but surely people will learn that this is your work and it will be left alone as it is now a revenue generator for a printshop. If you do not have work on Tuesday, then you do not have to worry about covering overhead in your own shop. And lastly, everyone is on the same playing field with regards to technology and equipment given the parameters of what you are getting done. I see this day in and day out whether it is a small, medium, or large shop. Like I said, Networking. If you have a ton of contacts, you can do this. If you are currently limited on who you know in the business world, it will be very, very tough. I wish you luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back