Static in plastic

Freeman A.Gain

I'm looking for any ideas about how to run plastic stock, on an offset press, that has loads of static? My "Kersten" antistatic module has gone on the fritz at the worse time. 20pt PVC plastic job with 2 colours. I am using the antistatic cord, but it is not enough. Options?

Thanks

Freeman A. Gain,
I have run different types of plastic, styrenes, yupo, cling-z, cramatica stocks and it sure is tough with out the old antistatic bar. But there is some really good aerosol antistatic spray cans that you can coat (spray) everything in the delivery every so many loads and it does help. I have also installed brown shipping paper from the last unit thru the delivery up to the delivery wheels, this will help to reduce the static from building because the paper will cover the metal finish in the delivery (tape it down good). That gold Christmas tree tinsel is festive, but I have never seen it work for me. Hope this helps and good luck! Bill

Static string

Static string

I'm looking for any ideas about how to run plastic stock, on an offset press, that has loads of static? My "Kersten" antistatic module has gone on the fritz at the worse time. 20pt PVC plastic job with 2 colours. I am using the antistatic cord, but it is not enough. Options?

Thanks

Are you using Static String ?

I suggest you check out their website and apply the solutions proposed in the Solutions page very strictly.

Static issues may seem very simple but in actuality they are solved by applying basic scientific principles.

These principles are outlined on the website.

StopStatic.com - Anti-Static Solutions - Home Page

Tamale

i havent had much luck with the anti static sprays but i am a firm believer in the xmas tree tinsel. I use it generously all over the feeder pile and going down the feed board. I also make sure i terminate the loop of tinsel into a can of water that i lay on the floor. One thing ive found when running the yupos and polystyrene substrates is that excessive static is usually indicative a stock thats not going to print well. Id highly suggest you have your stock dyne tested to determine its printability. The same static charge that makes for a nightmare feeding through the press will also at times make the sheets pull together like a magnet in the delivery causing some pretty bad setoff. Unless of course your printing it UV which is the safest way to print any of these plastic substrates with minimum risk!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back