Stealing Work

gordo

579 Stealing Work.jpg

I got written up for clocking in then going to go make my coffee. Boss said I was stealing money from the company. I should have grabbed my coffee before clocking in.
He also got mad at me for printing my resume at work. He wanted me to go to Kinkos. I then said, why? I just saved myself about 45min. Got written up for that as well. Good times.

I got written up for clocking in then going to go make my coffee. Boss said I was stealing money from the company. I should have grabbed my coffee before clocking in.
He also got mad at me for printing my resume at work. He wanted me to go to Kinkos. I then said, why? I just saved myself about 45min. Got written up for that as well. Good times.
I mean... both of those things are valid complaints from your boss.
Your boss didn't hire you to spend the first 10 minutes of your shift fixing yourself coffee. Our lowest paid employees cost us an average of $25/hr by the time we factor in all the taxes. If you use the first 10 minutes of your shift fixing coffee that means your boss just paid $4-$5 for your coffee. That's super annoying if you're doing it on the regular.

Printing your resume at work is just bad form. I probably would have seriously considered firing someone for doing that. It's a slap in the face and shows an obvious lack of respect. I'm not saying you have to respect your bosses but that doesn't mean you have to be outright disrespectful. That says more about you than them.

My caveat on that would be unless they had cleared/talked with with me about it first. I did have one employee who was great but needed/wanted a different line of work and we were happy to help work with them to give them a great reference. They were super respectful about it though.

I mean... both of those things are valid complaints from your boss.
Your boss didn't hire you to spend the first 10 minutes of your shift fixing yourself coffee. Our lowest paid employees cost us an average of $25/hr by the time we factor in all the taxes. If you use the first 10 minutes of your shift fixing coffee that means your boss just paid $4-$5 for your coffee. That's super annoying if you're doing it on the regular.

Printing your resume at work is just bad form. I probably would have seriously considered firing someone for doing that. It's a slap in the face and shows an obvious lack of respect. I'm not saying you have to respect your bosses but that doesn't mean you have to be outright disrespectful. That says more about you than them.

My caveat on that would be unless they had cleared/talked with with me about it first. I did have one employee who was great but needed/wanted a different line of work and we were happy to help work with them to give them a great reference. They were super respectful about it though.

At least you treat your employees with respect. I applied because they started at $21. I had 16+ years of experience in prepress. He gave me $16. That to me was a slap in the face. I needed a job. I had my family living in my car. He knew my situation because I was open about my struggles. He just used me so he can save himself cash. It wasn't about being fair and paying me for my skills. I'm in a much better place now. Getting paid enough to keep my family out of my car. BTW. I printed my resume at work on purpose. So he can see I don't care either.

BTW. I printed my resume at work on purpose. So he can see I don't care either.
Again, says a lot more about you than him. I would have held my head high, been the best employee I could be while working to find a better job. Then at least I would still have my self-respect. You can justify any behavior if you base all your actions on other people's actions. Becoming a crappy person who treats others with disrespect on purpose isn't my style.

But, I mean, you do you. I wish you luck in life.

My head is always held up high. That's why I did whatever I wanted to. I was done getting taken advantage of. He lied about bumping up my pay to $21 after 3 months. I did prepress, graphic design, variable & also ran the digital press when the AM operator would go home. The AM operator would ask me questions on how to run it better. I was a very good employee and still am. Just found a place that values me for my skills and as a human.

@zuBdo as the employee, your self appraised conclusion that you are a very good employee, is null and void. Only one of your employers or superiors, past or present, can make that statement carry any weight.
I don’t know you, however am sufficiently long in the tooth to pick up from a few of the statements you have made in your two posts, a definite attitude that you would last about five minutes with in my organisation.

@zuBdo as the employee, your self appraised conclusion that you are a very good employee, is null and void. Only one of your employers or superiors, past or present, can make that statement carry any weight.
I don’t know you, however am sufficiently long in the tooth to pick up from a few of the statements you have made in your two posts, a definite attitude that you would last about five minutes with in my organisation.
.. I'm very good at what I do. I'm confident. All my supervisors wish I never left. If we make an agreement on wages and your backtrack. Guess what, I lose all respect and the agreement on obeying the rules. Goes out the window. Why would I want to work for you anyway. If you can't keep your word as an employer?
I’ve worked in all sorts of different environments over the years, ranging from my bosses regularly buying my lunch (or breakfast, depending on the shift) all the way over to the other side of the coin where not taking any breaks - at all - during an 8-12 hour shift is expected by management (the frequently provided meals and no break rule are not from the same place, btw). I guess that maybe it all just depends on perspective...But in my opinion and depending on the situation, to come out and say that someone making some coffee while on the clock (who said anything about it taking 10 minutes?) is a problem, I think that may be just a little bit petty, to say the least.

Agreed.

On a different note; I much prefer these threads when they stay on the lighter, more humorous side..

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 2.10.47 PM.png

Why you mad Ynot_UK? Wait...Is that you? IT IS!!! Its my OLD BOSS Ynot_UK still MAD at me for printing my resume while I drank my coffee. As I laughed and asked everyone how their weekend was. LOL!!! Good Times.

Last edited:
I have been temping for decades now and I find that employers cover the entire spectrum from extremely good to extremely bad and everything in between, but I find the worst are those with the least knowledge & skills in printing; be they from the humble copy shop to the multinational. Just my observation...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back