Strange Photoshop/Illustrator behavior

Topher

I have a multi-layered PSD file, that when placed into an Illustrator doc, some elements in the PSD file disappear. When placing the file, if I choose to flatten the art, is when it happens, however, if I choose the other option to "Convert layers to objects", it does so without issues. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I am not a Photoshop expert by any means, so I could be missing something obvious. If anyone has any insight as to what is going on here, I would be grateful for some feedback.

Attachments

• PSD File with Gold Bars intact.jpg
    PSD File with Gold Bars intact.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 207
  • PSD placed into Illustrator - no gold bars.jpg
    PSD placed into Illustrator - no gold bars.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 249
I would "merge visible layers" in Photoshop and then place it in Illustrator. I always save a layered and flattened (merged) file out of Photoshop. I never place layered PS files in Ill because of the issue you're having. Working with flattened images also allows the RIPs to process the file faster.

It's probably down to how they differ in the transparency side of things, we often have to fire eps files at our rips rather than PDF files for the same reason

I would "merge visible layers" in Photoshop and then place it in Illustrator. I always save a layered and flattened (merged) file out of Photoshop. I never place layered PS files in Ill because of the issue you're having. Working with flattened images also allows the RIPs to process the file faster.

Flatten psd file is always better.

It's probably down to how they differ in the transparency side of things, we often have to fire eps files at our rips rather than PDF files for the same reason

This is right, sometimes I have AI files with eps files placed can't see file, is for this reason I open EPS file using Photoshop and save a PSD file and before place new link.

Last edited:
I understand that. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the business, and licensing restrictions I am unable to upload or distribute the artwork. I appreciate all the suggestions and help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back