Strange problem w/ roland fj-540

hello,

i'm running canvas on my old roland fj-540 through an onyx rip, 6-color bulk feed setup.

i have a 1.2 gig rgb file that is very heavy coverage dark blue with small vignettes, 48"x90". i have run smaller versions of this file with no problems, but this one stops abruptly at about 56% completed, with no indication of why. I trimmed down the ink coverage as much as i could and got it to print just past 60%, but that's it.

the roland's screen displays "now processing", and the onyx continues to try and send data, but the print just stops.

I have eliminated file size (both physical and mb) and file corruption as the cause.

i guess i'm stumped. anyone?
anyone experienced this?

We are Diverse Display Advertising, large format printers in Toronto, Canada.

Our prepress guy says;

i'd try reducing the resolution to 150 dpi. sounds like its at 300dpi right now and save as a .tif file.
dezigns333 says (02/19/10 00:55:43):
or even 200 dpi
dezigns333 says (02/19/10 00:56:49):
i avoid ripping files that bifg
dezigns333 says (02/19/10 00:56:52):
big
skip the pdf

Signs, Large Format Printing, Vehicle Wraps in Toronto

Reply with questions to [email protected]

What version of Onyx are you running?

Do you have the printer configured to run on <Port 9100> in Onyx?

This was a problem that a lot of people ran into in earlier releases of the RIP, but it was addressed in later builds. You can read a thread talking about this from a few years ago here:

Large Prints alwys stopping 3/4 way through

I'll start there with the troubleshooting as that will make a big difference in where to look next.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back