Stupid Question. Grain direction.

BigSi

It's been quite awhile since I have done any perfect bound books. A or B for grain direction. (see attached) I don't want the covers to curl when completed.
Sorry! I know a real basic question, (I shouldn't have to ask). thanks Simon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 12.51.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 12.51.52 PM.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 251
Is B used specifically to prevent cover curl? I perfect bind thousands per day and standard procedure is to have cover grain parallel to the spine. It makes for a cleaner spine fold. Understandably creasing/scoring would help if cover grain ran the other way. I've just never heard of a solid reason to have the cover grain going perpendicular to the spine. My experience with curl has been mostly due to lamination and/or environment.

Last edited:
This is why I said B.
I think it depends on the weight of the paper - I don't have an example of 350 gsm as a guide so A may work if the paper is thick enough.
Ideally and typically the grain would be parallel to the spine (A).
But depending on the weight of the paper it may be better to have the paper cross the grain.
If the grain is parallel to the spine then the paper can curl as below.

Grain.jpg

But if the grain goes across the spine (B) then the spine prevents it from curling top and bottom and the stiffness of the paper grain prevents it from curling up from the right.
Unfortunately that usually means scoring the paper to prevent cracking at the fold.

Attachments

• Grain.jpg
    Grain.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 124
Thanks everyone for your input.

My thinking is "A" for the internal pages and "B" for the cover. (assuming of course I crease the cover) This way I eliminate the chance I'll get curl on the cover.

ta Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back