Suggestions for Replacing Indigo with Toner press

in01

We are looking at various toner digital presses to replace our Indigo 5600. The offset look of the toner printed on the sheet and registration are concerns for us.
Our volumes are not high so speed is not an issue. Our goal is to find a toner box that can print a variety of substrates, including banners sheets, that will provide
a very low/no gloss look and register well.

Has anyone gone through this process? If so, can you please let us know what toner press you selected?

Thank you!

Last edited:
We have booth Indigo an toner presses, IMHO you will not find ANY toner device with as little differential gloss as the Indigo, especially on uncoated stock.
But the toner devices has definitely closed most of the gap to the Indigo, and brings you other benefits as well. 90% of you customers are not able to tell the difference, and if they can, are they willing to pay the difference, Indigos are a lot more expensive to run!
Nobody but you can make this decision for your business.. we have both technologies.

Thank you for your reply- What toner devices do you currently use?

We have Canon ImagePress 7011VPS and a Xerox Versant 80. Not the newest presses, but have seen the quality of all the new Canon/KM/Xerox/Ricoh and they are not much better, quality wise.
No matter what the sales people tell you, they are still copiers... They can provide good quality, you can rely your business on them, but it's not a press or an Indigo!
And you will be good friends with your technician, you will se him/her alot!

You saying you DON'T do a TON of your OWN maintenance on the Indigo to keep that running?

I have ALWAYS heard this:

If you BUY and INDIGO you better buy TWO

1 that you can "print" on and the other that you will be "servicing"

Rinse and repeat.....

In addition to our Indigo, we have older toner devices, Xerox 700 and KM C8000. Due to high operating cost we are thinking of replacing the Indigo with a toner device. We have moved some of the Indigo work two these older devices. Both toner devices have served us well but need to be upgraded. We have looked at the Ricoh and are also going to look at Canon Imagepress, Xerox and maybe KM. Thank you all for your feedback!

Last edited:
I've done that comparison circle five years ago. Back then KM was the least shiny, the most 'offset-lookalike'. That said, on matte paper there is no match to an Indigo. I would do a small survey among strong customers about the viability of toner press production. If they reject it up front, then don't waste time contemplating about KM, Ricoh or Xerox. But if the outcome is that for a little savings they would accept the otherwise perfect jobs, you would even gain from the change eventually.

We are looking at various toner digital presses to replace our Indigo 5600. The offset look of the toner printed on the sheet and registration are concerns for us.
Our volumes are not high so speed is not an issue. Our goal is to find a toner box that can print a variety of substrates, including banners sheets, that will provide
a very low/no gloss look and register well.

Has anyone gone through this process? If so, can you please let us know what toner press you selected?

Thank you!
You may want to consider the KM C3080 with IQ501 and banner printing.Tight consistent registration and color. Prints on coated, noncoated, polys, tabs.

We just put in a Xerox Irridesse and are very happy with it so far. You get banner printing plus Gold, Silver, Clear and White.

How much is XEROX charging PER stick for the Gold, Silver, Clear & White?

Pretty sure those are NOT included in your standard "supplies"

Back on the COLORPRESS Xerox wanted $470 for 1 TUBE of clear....

Sillyness.....

Take a look a the Ricoh 9200. You said you want low gloss and the KM and Canon will have higher gloss. Take a look at samples from all the vendors on your paper and you will see what I mean. I did a test on the Ricoh 7100x with a flood coat of clear toner all over the page and I did the same job on the KM 6100. The gloss was the same.

If you print on any kind of textured media and uncoated stocks I'd do some thorough testing on those as well. I really don't like Canon's image quality on uncoated stocks, but man it looks gorgeous on coated media.

I've done that comparison circle five years ago. Back then KM was the least shiny, the most 'offset-lookalike'. That said, on matte paper there is no match to an Indigo. I would do a small survey among strong customers about the viability of toner press production. If they reject it up front, then don't waste time contemplating about KM, Ricoh or Xerox. But if the outcome is that for a little savings they would accept the otherwise perfect jobs, you would even gain from the change eventually.

Take a look a the Ricoh 9200. You said you want low gloss and the KM and Canon will have higher gloss. Take a look at samples from all the vendors on your paper and you will see what I mean. I did a test on the Ricoh 7100x with a flood coat of clear toner all over the page and I did the same job on the KM 6100. The gloss was the same.

I think it can be agreed that Konica boxes are not the least glossy of the choices outside of Indigos...

To echo what nameless posted just before me - I completely agree that Xerox is out of sync versus Canon and Konica Minolta when it comes to printing on textured stock. I do believe that the properties of the glossier toner from Canon/KM enable them to print on textured media better than Xerox.

The speciality colors for the Iridesse are in that ballpark. You also have to buy specialty color developer drums, etc outside of your maintenance items that come with CMYK clicks.

Sillyness.....

Sillyness.....
May I ask, do you work for Ricoh or its subsidiaries?

May I ask, do you work for Ricoh or its subsidiaries?
I do not work for RICOH.

I used be a XEROX "only" house for about 12 years.

Then when my last "renewal" came up Mother X lost her mind and threw me a $$ number that was from CrazyTown....

That then forced me to look "around"

I learned ALOT in a REAL short period of time about what XEROX does / charges that pretty much NO ONE else does.

REAL "eye opener"

I settled on a Ricoh 9200 and so far it kicks the BALLS out of my 2 Colorpress machines.

To each his own.....

Peace.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I'm sorry if I seemed to intrude. I think every vendor has had, and will have of course, some less than inspiring moments with customers. It's quite plain in your case that it was exemplary. I see these days great things in each vendor and its good to see such competition, good for everyone. While I'm a production analyst for Xerox, and have heard of customers having issues with every vendors under the sun over the years, I wouldn't say your experience is normal. In my personal experience, that is mostly the exception to the rule. Wish you a good year, profitability, and health to you and yours! :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back