Suitcase X1 suddenly slow

[email protected]

I've been using Suitcase 11.0.4 on the same G5 mac/10.4.11 for quite a while without issue. Recently, suitcase has become very slow after activating/deactivating fonts few times normally. That is, after login, suitcase is fine for a while - maybe 4 or 5 cycles of activating then it slows to crawl. Activating a single font will take 20 sec. Fonts are always located on a mounted volume but I get the same results when activating locally stored fonts.
Logging out and back in restores it to working order for a few cycles. I have re-installed Suitcase, tried it on other Admin user accounts and created an brand new Admin user acct. with same results. One thing that is also different and odd is the situation where if fonts located on a mounted server are activated and the machine shut down it would cause (the familiar) spotlight hang on restart. That no longer happens.
I have the feeling that I hit some crazy key combination and turned something on that I now cannot find to turn off because this behavior started suddenly one day without any apparent difficulties with Suitcase or the system. Any ideas?
Thanks, Dan

have you used a good font utility lately? clean your fonts. Might help.

Yes, I went through multiple font cache cleanings and cleaned all remnants of Suitcase before re-installing it. The problem is system wide, so I am trying to find something there - troubleshooting between production jobs...
-Dan

Have you installed any new software anywhere lately? Software that runs our digital printer slows Suitcase and anything that uses it anytime I use the printer software. I have to restart the computer to fix it. They just don't like each other.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back