Synthetic paper for Epson 9880 (or Canon iPF 8400s)?

mwc

Bossman wants to try printing on a synthetic stock on our Epson 9880 or Canon iPF8400s.
I have personally never used other stocks than coated paper on these devices, as we are using them primarily for color managed pre-press proofing only.

My question to those with experience...
A. Is this possible on these engines, knowing that they are not solvent or UV printers...just using "Aqueous?" pigmented inks?
B. If A is possible, do you have a recommendation for a stock to try?
C. If you gave answer to B, can you print both sides of this stock?
D. If any of this is possible...would you say this would be a water-resistant print?...say something hanging outdoors, but covered by an awning, little direct sun, and occasional rain spray (or what would you say about the durability of such a print?)

I'm asking 'cause I don't know, please feel free to post candidly....thanks!
(my gut tells me that these aren't the devices for this type of print....but...)

A. Is this possible on these engines, knowing that they are not solvent or UV printers...just using "Aqueous?" pigmented inks?
Compatible substrates have a chemical coating that allows the aqueous inks to bond. A substrate be it organic or synthetic without such a coating will not let the ink adhere. Some may allow it to absorb in however. The quality might not be very good though with absorption. Your proofing paper is almost certainly partially synthetic (almost all of them are).
B. If A is possible, do you have a recommendation for a stock to try?
I would refer to the catalogs of paper or seek out a vendor that sells these substates. Epson has a full catalog of specialty substrates.
C. If you gave answer to B, can you print both sides of this stock?
If the substrate has the aforementioned coating on both sides and/or is acceptably absorbent yes. There are a few substrates designed for this purpose. You could also laminate two sheets together manually (spray glue) or with an actual laminator.
D. If any of this is possible...would you say this would be a water-resistant print?...say something hanging outdoors, but covered by an awning, little direct sun, and occasional rain spray (or what would you say about the durability of such a print?)
As far as Epson goes if the substrate is waterproof you shouldn't have issues. I cannot speak for Canon's ink. I hike, canoe and kayak. I have printed maps on synthetic substrates and given them all kinds of hell and water exposure. The first time I produced one of these maps was for a canoe trip and I printed it on semi-matte proofing paper. The printing never failed but the substrate delaminated. Lightfastness with Epson inks also should not be a problem only with the potential of the substrate yellowing/fading/degrading.

Last edited:
We sell gloss and matte coated polypropylene and PET aqueous inkjet media for dye and pigment inkjet printers from Epson, Canon, HP etc. With say an Epson 9900, one may have better results with matte black ink rather than photo black ink depending on the substrate. The biggest issue is usually finding printer driver settings that work with third party media, for best results a RIP is recommended to get the best out of the media.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back