Table-Top Prefect Binder Reccomendation

ericny

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading posts here for a bit but this is my first post.
I'm a designer in NY and I'm starting up a small art press out of my studio.
I'm looking for your advice on a good table-top perfect binder. I'm not going to be doing large number by any means but enough that it makes sense to do it in-house.

I want something that produces a professional quality and is fairly efficient for the user. (Semi-automatic is fine).

I saw the Bourg BB 1001 and that seems like something that would work but I just wanted to get your thoughts. I know you would be able to enlighten me to other brands or issues i may want to look out for.

Thanks so much,

Eric

This is really tricky, as it is a complex subject!

I don't think there are really any "good" desk top binders, as none of them is going to be able to produce a high quality product, they simply don't have the functionality required.

My advice is to steer well clear of coated papers and make sure that you test each and every book that you make. The operator's vigilance will make up for some shortcomings, but be ruthless with anything less than perfect!

Some other manufacturers you could consider are FastBind and Duplo, as both manufacture a desk top machine. There are lots of Chinese imports at very cheap prices, but I wouldn't go there.

I think the absolute best advice anyone will give you is the following. If you want your books to be perfect, then find a nearby printer with good colour management and a state of the art bindery. Partner with them at least initially and you will learn a lot.

BTW, make sure you find a good one! I've just had a book from Lulu land on my desk (the author had a few printed through Lulu, we are printing the longer run) and it is absolutely shocking! I don't generally ever criticise other printers, but that one is a disgrace.

Thanks for the input. I kind of figured the really small binders wouldn't produce a good book but I was hoping something a little bigger like the Bourg would produce something a little nicer. I actually have the room to fit in a bigger machine then just a desk-top unit. I just don't want to go too massive or heavy.

I have more experience in printing then anything to do with binding inhouse so it is great to get any information i can at this stage.

Thanks again, if you think of anything else I would love to hear.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back