Takofold 50M information

Ant

Hi, I have just bought a Takofold 50M booklet maker but cannot find out much information about it. I think it dates from the 80s (by the look of the graphics on it) and was manufactured by Goodhale Machinery Ltd. In Weston Super Mare. It works pretty well for a hand operated booklet maker but I think there should be a number of springs (6) supporting the stapling heads but they all appear to be missing - although my assumption is that they are only needed if the machine is being used just to staple and not fold. There appears to be a lever to lock down the folding section of the machine, but again there may be a part of this missing - or I may be wrong as to how this works. I saw a post from a member who used one of these machines so any information would be very welcome.
Thanks. Anthony.

Takofold 50M

Takofold 50M

If it's any help, I have an ancient Takofold 100E model. It has two springs to each stapling head and these are essential to enable the heads to return upwards after being depressed when stapling. My model has a switch to knock-out the folding mechanism when only stapling is required. On thick booklets or if there is a card cover, I find they tend to 'bounce' prior to folding and position between staple and fold is lost, in which case I resort to finishing off by hand-folding.

Thanks for the reply - On my machine there appear to be straight wire springs going from the base of the stapler unit to somewhere on the body of the stapler to pull them back up after stapling. As they are all missing except for one longer broken wire spring I cannot see where they originally went to and so it is harder to find or make a replacement. I have seen pics of other models using coils springs but the staplers have an extra bracket to fix to.
How does the knock-out mechanism work? Mine has a lever which has threaded holes at one end which I guess something attached to to lock down the folding section - I cannot work out what this would look like though as there is quite a lot of pressure on the springs that it would be holding back. Any more detail or pics would be really helpful.

Thanks, Anthony.

Takofold

Takofold

On my machine there are coil springs running from lugs on the actual stapler unit to the mounting block which slides from side to side to alter position. At one time I used a BABS Booklet Maker - purely hand operated - which had the straight wire springs, again these were essential to return the stapler head to the upper position.
On my Takofold, the folding option switch activates a solenoid. The BABS machine had two opertaing levers: one for stapling and one for just creasing rather than folding.
No doubt your Takofold is somewhat different to my 100E model. On the 100E you can just unscrew the four feet under the base to remove the cover and have a good view of what actually is happening in the mechanism; yours is probably the same.

My Takofold sounds similar to the BABS machine you describe. The wire springs are needed to pull up the stapling heads although the 2 round steel bars that form the fold do have a strong enough spring to pull up the stapling heads as well. I think the springs are more of a necessity if the folding mechanism is locked down - although how this is achieved is still a bit of a mystery. Perhaps the springs to pull up the folding bars have been changed for stronger versions as it would take some holding down. I assume there should be some kind of plate that should be on the end of the pivoting arm to assist with this.
My machine does have the 2 levers you describe but 3 fixed stapling heads allowing A3 A4 and A5 booklets to be produced. Can you remember how the wire springs attached to the staple heads? They all have holes that may have taken a rod which could be supported by a spring and give the lift needed. But the workings of the lock down mechanism is still a bit of a mystery.

Takofold

Takofold

The long straight springs on the BABS machine are actually piano wire. These are secured in holes on the mounting bar at the rear of the stapling head by a couple of grub screws and attached to the Rapid stapler through holes in two lugs sticking out of the sides (the springs are free to move in the holes to allow for rise and fall of spalers). I obtained piano wire to replace broken springs from the local model shop. I can't through any light on the folding locking mechanism, but think it must only be a simple latching device.

Thanks for the info - there was the remains on one of the springs left attached but I could not work out where they attached to the stapler. Each stapler has a hole through where they may have been a short rod with a hole to take the wire as you describe - I think a single rod linking all three staple heads may work as well with the springs sitting under the rod. I assume from you description that the springs were simply straight pieces of piano wire. I have looked again at the lock mechanism and repositioned it so that the tip sits between the folding blade and one of the round metal folding bars and it seems to hold the folding mechanism down - the two threaded holes are still a mystery though - perhaps the part was used on other machinery for different things?
Looks like I am off to the piano shop. Thank very much for the help - much appreciated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back