Taskero Universe?

J

Not sure where to ask about this. I stumbled on the Taskero Universe web site. The product looks very interesting but the descriptions of how it actually works in the shop are quite vague.
Anyone have experience with this product that they can share? Does it do what they say? I'm especially interested in the colour verification aspect and the connection with ctp plates and the pressroom.

John

I've heard about Oris products, however Taskero looks to be much more than just certifying proofs. It also, according to the website anyway, verifies platesetters and presses and generates reports on their performance.

Taskero Universe

Taskero Universe

I'm reposting. The new forum format is a bit confusing.

I've heard about Oris products, however Taskero looks to be much more than just certifying proofs. It also, according to the website anyway, verifies platesetters and presses and generates reports on their performance.

John

You're right, J. Taskero is a LOT bigger than proofer conformance. It's more of a large-scale quality control tool.

Taskero Universe

Taskero Universe

Rich, do you use the product or know anything about it?

John

Taskero Universe?

We're planning on implementing Taskero Universe by early next year.
It's part of our goal to become Gracol 7 certified Master Printer.
Taskero will monitor our Dart Platesetter, Epson Proofers, Presses, etc.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

We are currently using Taskero. We are the first install in Wisconsin and at this point everything is going well. Its in its infancy right now and we use it to monitor all our proofs, plates and printed product. It is at it most basic a central repository of all the data that is collected from the printing process from proof to final product. It collates all the collected data and can compare data from any point in time. For example, you proofed and printed a job last year and now its back for a re-run and it does not match on press, How can you know the proof and plates are the same as last time? are the lab values and densities of the printing ink the same as last year? You read the cal strip on the plate and compare it to the last reading from the previous run, it matches, OK move to the proof, read the proof strip and compare to last years proof, same with the press sheet. What I am getting at is that it provides data that can be used to identify problems after they happen and also before they happen. If you input proofing data from every proof and you have established a standard, in our case G7 you will get a pass or fail when you scan the proof bar. if it passes you know it is within spec and there will be no problem. If it fails you know you need to address what ever it was that made the proof fail, re-lin the proofer etc. Again it is still being developed and I am the most interested in what's in the future for the pressroom. From what I am being told it will be able to monitor pressroom environmental conditions, IE: temp & humidity. It will also be able to track connectivity and ph of fountain solutions and quite a few other things Fuji won't divulge at this point. Its not cheap to deploy but if absolute repeatability of print jobs and being able to troubleshoot problems are a high priority you might want to look at it.

Sorry J... meant to get back sooner.
Where I was going with the CertifiedProof comment is this: Fuji took the CertifiedProof product, used it as their core, and built around, I believe. So the proofing verification portion of Taskero Color Path Verified (there are different Taskero products) looks and behaves exactly like CertifiedProof. Whenever you do a proof, you also print a target chart, read that in with an i1, and CPV tells you if you are within tolerance or not. It can print off a verification label too that you can put on the proof.
The procedure is the same for plating.
And all that information is uploaded to a central server where it is monitored by Fuji. You can also pull a myriad of reports at any time via the web. It's a great tool. We've been using it since December at one plant, and are looking to put it into the other plant next year.
We have not yet ventured into reading our print data.
I believe the connection to CTP devices... it has to be a Screen or Fuji platesetter.

Last edited:
Taskero Universe

Taskero Universe

Thanks for the web link Rich. I will look into Maxwell.

We have, like I suppose most printers do, a bespoke system where we have our standards for proof, plate, and pressroom. We store the proof and a press sheet with our our job dockets so that we have a colour reference if we need to reprint. This information is very helpful in understanding the problem that Taskero is fixing compared to what we are now doing. It also provides some background information that I can bring up at our next managers meeting to see if the company is interested.
Taskero sounds like a stand alone workflow where you input data instead of PDFs and it spits out reports instead of bitmaps. Is that correct? Or are all the pieces separate?
Is the data collected automatically into the Taskero system? Or do you have to go to a workstation and type it in? How difficult or time consuming is it to collect press data on a regular basis and get it into Taskero database? How often are you supposed to collect press, proof, or plate data?
Fuji says that they remotely monitor the customer's systems and informs them when they see a problem. Is Fuji doing this currently? Do you have a live "chat" (with a Fuji colour technician) window implemented? Is this service any different than calling Fuji's customer service center?
Taskero talks about "Server Performance Management", that monitors the customer's servers for problems etc. Are they offering this currently? If so, do you see value in this capability?
Does Fuji collect n-colour data? I.e. for spot colours or H-Fi printing.
How do you collect press room data? What measurement device and control bar do you use? Can you use what you already have?

Thank you, John

Taskero sounds like a stand alone workflow where you input data instead of PDFs and it spits out reports instead of bitmaps. Is that correct?
Yes

Data is collected automatically. You have to 'key' in some data, like operator, Job #, etc, but the data reads are coming from a USB or Serial connected i1, IC Plate, Xrite... tools that you are probably already using for process control. You have a workstation that you feed this into. I can't speak to the press data collection yet, for proof and plate are only looking at 2-3 minutes to collect the data. How much you collect is up to you. Optimally, you'd want to read every proof and plate. We currently are only reading one proof per operator per shift, and one plate per day (we are not collecting data for Job's sake right now, just to verify the hardware).

Fuji says that they remotely monitor the customer's systems and informs them when they see a problem. Is Fuji doing this currently? Do you have a live "chat" (with a Fuji colour technician) window implemented? Is this service any different than calling Fuji's customer service center?
Yes. If my readings go awry long enough, they will call me to see what is up. The chat (really a WebEx chat window) is built into CPV. I've used it multiple times with very good success - quick, knowledgeable and helpful response. (This experience for me has been better than calling Fuji Support for other issues.)

I believe the Server Management module is currently available. We are not taking part of that... we are doing using other methods.

I believe you can use current devices and colorbars for press room data.

J,
Taskero is not the first product to remotely monitor customer data. ColorMetrix does this, ColorSciences does this and some other folks. Subscription based items like this are very popular right now.

The selection of a QC product really depends on your needs and your budget. An outline of what you want to accomplish would be helpful to steer you to the right product.

We are a newer user of Taskero and I can attest that I will receive phone calls from Fuji support when proofs etc. are out of tolerance. I have used the live chat feature for help installing "accessories" like the USB devices for collecting environmental data (temperature and humidity) as well as help setting up new print targets and devices. My only complaint currently would be the ICPlate being a serial device that doesn't stay connected (due to sleep mode) to the PC running CPV and requires a jump through hoops approach to get plate readings into CPV through the device. Of course we do have the option to key this data in.

My only complaint currently would be the ICPlate being a serial device that doesn't stay connected (due to sleep mode) to the PC running CPV and requires a jump through hoops approach to get plate readings into CPV through the device. Of course we do have the option to key this data in.
We don't have this problem. We just wake the ICPlate, and it works fine.
Actually, we used to have some problems with it (although I don't recall it exactly), but the problem was resolved by instituting a Keyspan Serial to USB adapter.

Hi I am from CGS and can maybe shed some light on this. Taskero and specifically Color Path Verify is based on ORIS Certified Proof. There are some subtle differences and some commonalities. First the GUI is very much like ORIS Certified Proof and the operation is nearly the same. However, from that point on Fuji has added more features.

ORIS is a local database and not tied to a central DB. Color Path is.
Color Path is a web based user sign-on application with configurable permissions and views. ORIS does not do this.
Taskero is capable of receiving JMF (JDF) from supporting systems. For example ORIS Color Tuner will tell Taskero's Color Path what pages have been proofed and need to be certified.
Taskero has a large number of reports and customizable reports that it can generate.
Both Taskero and ORIS can be used for press and proofing applications.
ORIS can measure monitors for certifying in soft proof applications.
Taskero allows for support just by clicking on a button.
As was said earlier, Taskero monitors a number of devices and will automatically generate a service call if there is a large number of failures.
ORIS Certified Proof is meant mainly for proofing (density or lab)
ORIS Certified Press is meant mainly for the press room. It gives many more visuals for the pressman. TVI, gray balance, tone stability, etc.
ORIS Certified Monitor is meant for monitors and it will generate a monitor icc profile.
Taskero is ORIS Certified Proof and Press combined (more or less) and they plan to introduce monitor's soon if it is not done already.
They both support commonly used densitometers and spectrophotometer devices in press rooms and in proofing. They both support any color chart or control bar and you can make your own. Spot colors can be supported by Lab only.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back