The Inkjet Gamut vs the Toner Gamut

Tim-Ellis

Hello Folks,

I am helping out on a project for a friend who needs to print colour labels on demand. They need to purchase a small "desktop" printer solution (OKI, EPSON etc). The question has come up as to which kind of device will produce the widest gamut. Before I get the spectroeye out the cupboard, does anyone know if CMYK Toner produces a wider gamut than CMYK InkJet?

6 colour etc is not an option here. If anyone has a chart, that would be fantastic.

Cheers

Tim.

Another question you should consider is the rub resistance of each process . . . I know for wine labels we have to varnish the labels to protect them during shipping . . .

The phrases "CMYK Toner" and "CMYK Inkjet" are meaningless - what are the color coordinates of the primary inks of each printer? On what type of paper? Without these measurements, you cannot estimate the color gamut and do a comparison.

Thanks for you comments Dabob & Schnitzel.

I'd better fill in some details. The project is for a firm that organises conferences. My freind is going to print the delegates picture and their company logo when they register to attend. The question arose as to which type of device would handle the broadest range of colour for all those potential logos.

Rather than try to take some readings on a machine they have not purchased on a paper they have not chosen, I wondered if there is a generic "rule of thumb" they could apply in making a choice.

If the Gaumts are so close that it usually makes little difference then they can base their choice on other factors.

Well, what devices? What toner? What ink set? What paper? What media? What color models for native documents? Are the devices all set to use source ICC profiles and set to convert raster and vectors with the same rendering intent?

Unless I'm missing something it looks like your just going to be making some kind of ID badges . . . so, IMHO "pleasing color" would be good enough - so most any "photo quality" printer would fit your needs

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back