The little MAC applications you just can't live without

gordo

Hi,

Just wondering if you would share a list of those little (maybe free?) applications you just can't live without.
From my Dock (all freeware or donationware):
Netfixer: for capturing web pages that can be opened in Preview
Burn: a great alternative to Toast for burning CDs and DVDs
VLC: for viewing videos that Quicktime can't open or doesn't handle well (e.g. separate subtitle file)
iSquint: for converting FLV files plus converting for iPod video format
Gawker: for time-lapse movies if you have built in or external video source for your MAC
GIFfun: for creating animated GIFs
SmallImage: for batch resizing of images
Stellarium: for desktop astronomy

best, gordo

Re: The little MAC applications you just can't live without

I have to say, nice list !

My best little free apps are:

Split & Concat http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/
For Splitting large files and merging them back
Renamer4Mac http://www.power4mac.com/renamer/
Makes renaming a big number of files easy
PDFlab http://iconus.ch/fabien/pdflab/
Split and join PDF documents
iShred Express http://home.comcast.net/~jeff.ulicny/software/utils.html
Simple secure delete

This one is not free but saved my but once, and its not expensive.
Number Press http://www.praetersoftware.com/products/numberpress/
Numbering software for PDF

Neo Office
Font Explorer X
iBert
Onyx
Cyberduck
Cocktail
Renamer4Mac
Transmit
Firefox
Thunderbird
SeaMonkey

grep
awk
sed
telnet / ssh
dig
cal / date

As for some other posts, I find it hard to include the Mozilla applications in a list of "little" applications, or NeoOffice, which is a very large pile of, um, code. Useful, though not little.

Audacity for converting the files from my digital voice recorder to other formats.
Preview since it takes so much less time to open and less resources than, um, other PDF viewers.
Grab
Seashore
ScriptEditor
TextWrangler
SQLite Database Browser
and a not-so-little rssOwl

Chasd.

Yasu, for maintenancing my Mac OS X.
PsyncX, for making bootable clones or updating mirrored folders on a schedule (one way).
FileSync, for synscronizing folders (two way).
R-Name, for batch renaming multiple files fast (I use it to add jobnumber- to beginning of files after using Photoshop droplet to convert the incoming RGB files to CMYK with an action script embedded in the droplet).
BatChmod, for changing permissions much faster than the Finder can (especially on large folders, etc.)
WMV Player, self explanatory.
CyberDuck, the best free FTP client ever.
Carbon Copy Cloner, good program for doing what I now use PsyncX for.
Poor Man's Solitaire 2.2, for a good ole game (not used much because I like these forums to relax when I'm not busy).
Look on versiontracker.com for other great reviews etc. of stuff you might want to get. Just search, read reviews, try out each if you want, it's great.

Don

And don't forget Quicksilver.

I can't stand it when it's not running, or I'm working on a machine that doesn't have it.

No need to ever use the dock.

mine is already in everyones OSX system already...Automator. this little gem is great for automating lots of little pain-in-the-ass functions. i have some workflows set up for system maintenance, saving web pages as pdf files (this is handy with capturing useful threads on these message boards for later use), renaming files (a great little file renamer - very useful), and quite a few other things.

you can set up some pretty complicated workflows too. for instance, i used to have a customer that i had to constantly upload .zip files to their ftp site. i set up this workflow in Automator where all i had to do was drag the files i needed to send into a window, and then on-the-fly it zips it into an archive, posted it to the needed site, and sent a confirming email to the customer and my internal csr. the only thing i needed to do was drag in the files and enter the name of the .zip file i desired, and the rest happened.

check it out, you might be suprised what you already have, and may not have realized it.

cr

I'll add Overflow, the best little launcher I have used.
Default Folder, I almost panic when usig a mac without it!
DiskWarrior, for those system fixes
Drive Genius, reaches the parts of a drive the others can't!
Appzapper, gets rid of all the nonsense accompanying installations
Handbrake, for getting DVDs into iPod/AppleTvV
Delicious Library, cool database for the anal retenive audiophile or insurance purposes (unless they steal the mac too!) the isight barcode scanner is great!
Delivery Status widget for tracking packages, this one stores info after restarting
Bookdog, great mutt for organising web bookmarks

cheers

D

Seen some known names but a whole lot of new names of apps. Looks like I'm going to spending some nights behind the screen looking into these apps.

And I thought I was into mac apps...

SpiritedAway is another. Hides open apps after so many minutes of inactivity. Keeps clean workspace.

Adium - http://www.adiumx.com/ - dium is a free instant messaging application for Mac OS X that can connect to AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, and more.

Jumpcut - http://jumpcut.sourceforge.net/ - Jumpcut is an application that provides "clipboard buffering" — that is, access to text that you've cut or copied, even if you've subsequently cut or copied something else.

iTerm - http://iterm.sourceforge.net/ - iTerm is a full featured terminal emulation program written for OS X using Cocoa.

Journler - http://journler.com/ - Journler is a digital notebook and entry based information manager.

I cannot live without 1password. It is THE BEST way to store all of your important login info, billing info, and passwords. It will also generate strong passwords for you.

istat pro runs in my menu bar. It will give you all the vital info on your machine in an easy to read format.

Appfresh is great for keeping your applications up to date. Especially if you have a lot of them.

Flip4Mac alows you to view those pesky wmv files in quicktime.

Fluid will creat a stand alone app for webpages that you may always have up. It helps in that it will take the burden off of your browser. i.e.-gmail, facebook, twitter

Disk InventoryX-will allow you to see what is eating up your space on your hard drive.

Netfixer for capturing/downloading webpages
Burn for burning CDs and DVDs
iSquint for converting .avi, .mov, .mpg, .flv .etc. files for iPod (Touch in my case)
Gawker for doing time lapse movies
Gif fun for making animated gifs
SmallImage2 for batch downsizing of images
NoiseNinja for reducing noise in digital captures
Zipeg for zipping and unzipping files
OSXplanet for a real time desktop background view of the earth and weather patterns
MainMenu for system maintenance

best gordo

What are people using to print the contents of a Finder window? I have tried Print Window 4.0.1 by Searchware Solutions, but found it very inadequate.

What are people using to print the contents of a Finder window? I have tried Print Window 4.0.1 by Searchware Solutions, but found it very inadequate.

We keep an OS 9 Mac around for just this purpose (in addition to handling jobs from customers who haven't made the leap to OS X). I have tinkered with Print Window and although it works well, I guess I just appreciate how much more dynamic the built-in OS 9 feature was and however the window was set, is what printed.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

For us, it's:

SMARTReporter - warns of potential hard drive failure.
FontNuke - for nuking those pesky font cache files that OS X loves to keep around (thanks, Jake!).
OnyX - for system maintenance and customization.
PDFshrink - for easy and fast shrinking of PDFs so they can be emailed.
iKey - for assigning keyboard shortcuts to run AppleScripts.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

What I miss most from OS 9 is the ability to highlight files and folders in a window, then copy and paste into a text editor to produce a list of the highlighted items from the OS window. That has never worked in any OS X.

Anybody know how to copy a window's contents as text?

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back