The Wrong File

gordo

692 The Wrong File.jpg

Which is why I always dumped the previous file sent and only kept the last one. There were a few times that I could just tell that the customer was one of those who would go back to a previous file, so if there was a lot of difference, I kept the older one a while. Never failed.

We call those the final-final customers.
We reserve an amended production process for them.
It goes like this:
BEFORE we make a soft or hard proof we wait at least 24hrs UNLESS they specifically contact us and request a delivery time that is shorter.
THEN after approval we wait a minimum of 24hrs before plating/printing their work.
This allows for saving untold cost and annoyance.
And heaven forbid their costs over run.
Sigh.

I have one customer like that. Everyone is not allowed to process her job until 24hrs after she places it because she always sends a "last minute" update and it's a waste of everyones time to bother with the first file.

Hah! So true. I worked at a shop that did exaclty this. They had folders filled with files called: buscard_final, buscard_final2, buscard_final_approved....and it went on and on so even they didn't know which was the correct file if it wasn't for the modification date. I put a stop to that my first week there by changing the naming convention to: buscard_r1, buscard_r2, etc. (because they really wanted to keep the old revisions)

Always better to set up 2 folders under each main folder of a job: "Active" and "Archived". As soon as you get a new art file, regardless of the name (final, final2, final_final_Last, etc.), move the old existing file to the "Archived" folder, then save the new file to the "Active" folder. You can't print the wrong file, if, you can't get to it (or, can you?)

Always better to set up 2 folders under each main folder of a job: "Active" and "Archived". As soon as you get a new art file, regardless of the name (final, final2, final_final_Last, etc.), move the old existing file to the "Archived" folder, then save the new file to the "Active" folder. You can't print the wrong file, if, you can't get to it (or, can you?)
These 'schemes' we use are attempts to thwart ignorant decisions or actions by our customers.
The moment we shout 'Success!' in our attempts, the newer, better, more ignorant customer appears.
YMMV

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back