Thoughts on the Quickmaster DI series?

ScotJ

I've been looking at moving our business more seriously into card and flyer printing market (we currently do large format) and I'm thinking of getting one of these machines once we have enough biz to keep a digital press busy.

Thoughts? They seem alot simpler than some complex presses; as well they are VERY cheap on the used market.

And I know - it all comes down to the operator, and I intend to hire on that is familiar with this machine in particular (or something very similar)

Qmdi

Qmdi

ScottJ,
Here are my 2 cents. The HiedyQMDI in its day was a nice machine. It was based on a deal with Presstek supplying the lasers and plates and Heidi built the box. Somehow the two companies got involved in a law suit and the machine was scrapped by the Heidi boys. Use GOGGLE to view the info. VIM makes plates for the QMDI so at least you can save money there.
Service and parts may be hard to find and very expensive so research before you buy a used one. I have one QMDI I see running and it does an ok job. But the customer dreads a problem due to cost of parts and service cost. Make sure you have a local tech etc to set up and configure the rip etc. A DI based machine is complex and is not trouble free.
Presstek currently has their hardware built by Ryobi and it is an extremely proprietary machine. Which is ok I guess but to me it is like buying a car and you must purchase the fuel and service from them only.
You sound like a true offset printer large format and I also prefer true offset for printing, have you considered a machine like digital copier? Konica, Canon or Xerox etc?
Or better yet a real offset press with a good CTP system and auto plate loaders in a small format?
A used Ryobi 3304HA or AB Dick 4995 4 color is very nice for fliers and mailers etc. Just make sure they have Crestline’s or Kompac's installed.
Best of Luck
OG

I had a qmdi. and the are a good option for a sheet fed operation to get a cheap start in 4 color. In fact I could beat the pants off a 2 color gto with it. but it did not register real well just okay. if you have never run a press, buy a copier you will not be happy with the machine. paper feeding can be an art.

Parts and labor are killer on these due to the pre-mentioned contract/lawsuit issues. Last time I looked Presstek still sells the press new.

The QM46 is an awesome press and can be incredibly economical especially when matched with a small polyester platesetter.\

Given the details you have provided I would go with a digital xerography solution rather than a traditional offset press.

Last edited:
I qmdi 4c does not have a common blanket. It does have a common impression cylinder that is a quadduple cylinder. parts and labor are not that bad unless it is a specialty part like the laser power supply and diodes. computer components. but the common parts are reasonable labor from heidelberg is in line with all there presses. plates are expensive, but there is no chemistry.

the QM 46 2 color does have common blanket. and is a good press. but I would not say it could compete with a qmdi for 4color process work.

and I would still suggest a digital copier/press

Which digital copier/press would you suggest for a low volume operation? I was going to consider the Xante Illumina, but have run into a lot of negative reports in the internet.

Al

My Thoughts

My Thoughts

We have an older one - want it ?

The newer versions had some changes that resolved some of the issues we had.

1)
Really only liked one manufacturer's inks
2)
Ink temperature was critical - newer versions had a bigger chiller
3)
Plate scratches could be a problem
4)
Needs to be kept cleaner than some pressmen are used to, see 3)
5)
Must jack with color curves in the RIP to get close to "normal"
6)
Dryer important to get decent turn times
7)
Picky paper feed
8)
Didn't like full / heavy coverage jobs
9)
Our RIP was an Alpha processor - you might need a more modern third-party RIP
10)
There is no number ten

Chasd.

if you go with the di, you will need a modern rip. xitron, heidelberg.

all others spot on.

for digital. I have the ikon cpp550/km5500.
its nice and in your price range. people will argue over xerox, canon, konica. depends on your market. the km is a good starter machine. I have not used the canon or xerox starter machines to tell you they are worse or better. don't get an office color machine like the canon c3220. people will laugh at you I had one and it was not that good.

I am a rep for Presstek. We used to sell these through Presstek. The QMDI is a great machine, fairly reliable, but it does require regular tweaking to keep it running smoothly. there are some independent service organizations who will work on it.
Since the DI has only 3 form rollers and has a short recovery, large solids can be troublesome. Also, be aware that most of these presses were 1997 and 1998 models so they are 11 to 12 years old. (running on DOS) You might want to consider a later model Kodak or Presstek branded press. There are a few used ones around for $160K or so.

Heidelberg QMDI Presses...

Heidelberg QMDI Presses...

I've been looking at moving our business more seriously into card and flyer printing market (we currently do large format) and I'm thinking of getting one of these machines once we have enough biz to keep a digital press busy.

Thoughts? They seem alot simpler than some complex presses; as well they are VERY cheap on the used market.

And I know - it all comes down to the operator, and I intend to hire on that is familiar with this machine in particular (or something very similar)
Scott I can only say goods things about this press because I have been selling and servicing them since 1997. I have a long list of companies all over the USA who love the press.I would be more than happy to provide you with a list.
Thanks

http://www.heidelbergqmdiparts.com

ScotJ,

Heidelberg does sell remarketed DI's along with plates and service. If you are interested, please e-mail me your contact info and I will have a Rep contact you.

Best regards,

Mark

The QMDI was a decent machine. We had one for 5 years and we also had an offline UV coater. When I bought the press around 2001 I catered to a mostly wholesale market selling brochures, UV coated postcards, et al. Business was GREAT for 4-5 years running. Then 2-3 years ago folks like four ov-er decimated my business.

Here's my 2¢. Don't do it. Printing is a dead market, not a dying market, dead market. No small businessman is making any real money these days.

If you are interested in color flat sheet printing, look at the KM 6501 Bizhub. The print quality is better than the DI and it won't break the bank.

Scott, the price of QM DI, refurbished, presses has dropped substantially in the past 18 months. You can get a completed refurbished press, with warranty, training, shipping and rigging for under 6 figures. Give me a call if you are interested. (859) 803-3003.

Have you looked at the Screen TruePress? Saw a demo a little while ago and looks good. Can use any inks, blankets etc. The only (or so they say) proprietary consumable is plates.

We have a Di it is a great machine for business cards, letterhead, and envelopes but as stated it DOES NOT like heavy solids and sheet size is limited for my liking (same size as QM-46). We also have problems with striping it looks like the plate is toning and no one has been able to tell use why Heidelberg just put bandaids on the problem never fixed it. We have to change ink setting on just about every job and they will have to be adjusted if the press speed is increased. I perfer a REAL press. just my thoughts a an operator for 4 years

I aggree with Elbertjolley,

its great for certain targeted items but not everything. thats why we went to a sm52 and ctp.

We to have a DI and are very pleased with it's performance. As for the solids, we have found that it does a great job running solids as long as you use rich black when running any type of a black solid. We have ran a 12x18 C2S, 12pt, solid black with a little lettering and had no problems using this method. But try and run any type of a solid black, small to large without rich black and it will never hold it. As for the press, it definitely has a niche in alot of printshop arsenals.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back