tif and Q7 colour splitting differently? Why?

Hi Folks,

Prob something obvious but i have a cmyk tif logo with a background colour that matches that of a coloured up box in quark of which it sits upon. Made a PDF (x1a via distiller) and the split is slightly different. If i use the .PS in our workflow we get the same result so it must be something going wrong when Quark makes .PS.

Anyone shed any light on this before i have to put a clipping path round the b*stard :(

Regards,
Pete

I have seen this in Q before

I have seen this in Q before

I like to keep the files in original form and export layout as a Pdf as is or CMYK + Spots and let my rip break/convert the colors from Quark. Quark color conversion is unpredictable and I am not surprised at your findings. I would have recommended the same with the clipping path. Try not to let Quark convert to CMYK or match colors across file formats EPS to TIFF to native Quark....

Switch to InDesign!

Is the solid box in Quark a spot?

Is the solid box in Quark a spot?

You say you have a "coloured up box in quark". Is the box a spot color? Quark has new breakdowns to create spot colors and they are not always what you would find in Illustrator or InDesign. You could also just make the box in Quark the same values you are getting from the picture in the RIP. Then as long as the picture RIPs consistently the Quark box should match once they are both RIPed.

Q7 colour

Q7 colour

Check that the background colour is made up of CMYK and is not a spot colour and check that the CMYK values in the Quark picture box are the same as the tif file..
When it's ripped it should be ok..

hmm clearly people either don't trust me or do not read things thoroughly.

As i've already said i have a CMYK (not spot!) tif which values match that of a CMYK coloured up quark box, when a pdf or postscript is made (by either method, export or print) the logo does not match the quark colour. It really is that simple.

Oh and believe me i only use dog sh*t quark if i have to mark.

Could be color profiles

Could be color profiles

What is your ultimate goal here? By this I mean, do you want both objects to convert from one set of CMYK values to another? Or is one or the other object converting to a different set of CMYK values and you don't want it to convert? The reason that I ask this is that is sounds like the problem is with the Color Management settings.

If you don't want any of it to change, make sure that the "Color Manage to CMYK Destinations" box is unchecked for the image in the Profile Information Palette.

If you want all of it to color manage to another color, it gets a bit more complex. You will need to duplicate the default source setup, and make sure that the "Color Manage CMYK Sources to CMYK Desinations" box is checked. This source setup will need to be applied to the project in the preferences. If the Image has a profile tagged to it, you will want to in the Profile information palette choose "Default". This should get you much closer to what you are looking for I think.

tif and Q7 colour splitting differently? Why?

Hi Folks,

Prob something obvious but i have a cmyk tif logo with a background colour that matches that of a coloured up box in quark of which it sits upon. Made a PDF (x1a via distiller) and the split is slightly different. If i use the .PS in our workflow we get the same result so it must be something going wrong when Quark makes .PS.

Anyone shed any light on this before i have to put a clipping path round the b*stard :(

Regards,
Pete
My thought: 4/color Tif logo is a raster file going against colored tint from Q7 which will translate to vector at the rip. There'll be a noticeable difference due to that even though CMYK values read exactly the same.
X1A is Vector based but don't know the inner workings of x1A to know how it interprets raster file.

Colour manage

Colour manage

The tiff image is colour managed somewhere along the line and the background fill being vector isn't. Either colour manage both or none and the problem will be solved..
I've seen this happen on Digital rips when profiles are only applied to the images and not the vector files..
My humble apologies for not correctly reading your mail!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back