Toner based machines and contact lens wearers.

jinthebay

Currently running a Ricoh C901. It's a heavy production model that's toner based and situated in a room with less than adequate ventilation. I've been wearing contact lens comfortably for many years without incident considering that I've worked in the printing industry for most of my adult life.
Question is; Is there anyone out there running a machine like this that is experiencing some discomfort in wearing your contact lenses? Dryness? Irritation? I'm not sure if it's just the time of the year or the recent cold spell we have felt in this part of the country (west central Florida).
I am not inclined to start wearing my glasses as I have trouble with my peripheral vision. I wear extended wear lenses and was always able to get at least two weeks out of them. Now it seems like one week is a stretch.

Just curious.

I run a Xerox color 1000, canon c6000, and two KM B+W 1200's and wear contacts full time except on the weekends - No problems here. I wear 2 week daily lenses and usually get a month or more out of them. I disinfect with Clear Care every night.

Thanks PrintIT,

Yeah, I use clear care as well. Since I've been running this machine (about 2 months now) I've noticed this extra sensitivity from wearing my lenses. I'm just trying to establish wether it's the machine, the room's condition or maybe just me getting older. Never felt this before from running an Indigo for over 5 years.

Don't have a way to accurately measure it. It feels pretty dry though. A co-worker recently said that he could see a haze in the air after the machine had been running for a while. We turned the fan to the a/c unit on to help circulate the air a bit and I think it helps but I kinda feel like it's a combination of toner vapour, paper dust and ozone, lingering in the air that's bothering my eyes, (and not allergies, from which I've never suffered from before). I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms.

I would guess low humidity too running the machine is going to make it even drier. If you are worried about something coming from the printer there are four toner filters and two ozone filters. If you have the TCRU kit it has the toner filters in there.

Have you said anything to the tech? If you want to know the humidity there they can see what it is in service mode.

Like others we have a Xerox Color 1000 Press, KM C6000, Xanta Impressia and a KM 1200 that all run about 80% of the day and 4 of us have contacts without any issues. Our room is well ventilated too.

Thanks for the replies folks. We just had the toner filters replaced. Not sure about the ozone filters though as I'm still becoming acquainted with this machine. I'll ask the tech about the humidity level next time he's in. Until then, I'll have to just get used to changing my extended wear lenses out more often I guess. I'll post again if gets worse or better.

What is the humidity in the room?

Electrostatic printing (xerography) absolutely kills humidity. You need adequate ventilation and humidification. Maintaining ideal humidity will also tend to make the machines behave better.

Thanks Chev. Thing is though, we're in Florida. Don't have to go too far or wait too long for humidity around here. The room that the machine is in has glass doors that lead directly to the outside. What I'm wondering is, is this just a temporary thing because it has been dry and relatively cool recently or can I expect to feel this discomfort regardless of whether it's hot or cold? I expect a whole slew of different problems with this machine once the heat comes back in the warmer months. Just don't know if I'll be clearing paper jams with or without bleary eyes.

TL/DR: Ignoring humidity can also cost a company a lot of money. This also applies in a very real way to inkjet CtP equipment, and conventional press rooms. Those environmental ratings on machines are real.

I used to work in a similar environment with an external door near the work environment and generous amounts of windows. In the summer heat the humidity was very high outside and sun was coming in (despite tinting) which caused even more heat in the digital production room. This caused the AC to run constantly (which also dries the air). In the Winter the same problems were caused by electric heating (also dries the air) mixed with dry winter air being constantly provided through the door. The room was small and a small humidifier running full blast 24/7 helped band aid the problem.

I've witnessed some very expensive service calls because they shorted due an electrical arc caused purely by persistently too low humidity. A couple of stories:

Once was for a CtF machine back ~2002 and I actually saw the arc when the technician came to troubleshoot the machine. It was exhibiting extremely weird electrical behaviors, but only in the winter. The board was ~$15,000. Afterwards, the owner finally listened and implemented a controlled room with a dedicated AC/heat unit and humidity controls. This is when I learned about the critical nature of humidity controls.

At a different shop I worked at a Heidelberg SM102 control cabinet board fried for the same reason. I had observed the feeder operator going through insane amounts of "static spray" and reported this to the production manager and general manager. I warned them it was only a matter of time before an arc or discharge severely damaged equipment and that the solution was to mandate that the door near the feed of the press not be used. The door was basically being used for people to go outside for smoke breaks. After the >$20,000 repair the door was permanently made into a fire-esecape/egress door only as it was very near the electrical cabinets. Static problems in the winter pretty much completely went away in the entire press room.

All of this has pretty nasty effects on color quality, consistency and calibration too. Paper jams are commonly caused by too little humidity leading to static clinging. The device(s) can also produce weird faults if too low humidity leads to static buildups leading to arcing within the machine(s). It is ideal for printing (and pretty much critical for electrostatic) to be done in a humidity and climate controlled environment without external doors. If the room is small enough and not constantly loosing its contents to the outside a small home style humidor (~$30) will definitely help. For a large area industrial or "whole home" style humidification (~$175 - $1,000) setup may be required.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back