toning on my QM-46

I need help.....I run poly plates using Total Chrome Free by Varn as my fountain solution........For example, I will run red and black all day on the same press without any issues of toning, scumming or ANYTHING...... The other day I ran this job on 70# Cougar natural text.........the only difference....I was running rubber base pms 5115........after a few thousand impressions I began to get an overall toning of the sheet and ink build up on the blanket...........I reset the rollers (Unit 1) of the water system and made sure that my ink form rollers held a 2mm strip on the plate (this was suggested by heidelberg)........also, I had a minimal amount of Lub-A-Roll on unit 2.........what could be causing this?

Have you tried asking at Printers Advantage (Printers Advantage), a site created by Heidelberg for users of its small-format equipment? Go to the site, register, and post your question in the "Ask the Experts" section, where you'll see a lot of Q&A about the QM-46 and other small presses from Heidelberg.

It could be a symptom that the rollers are worn out. Check when they were last replaced. We usually get 18 months out of the water system rollers.

Roller stripes should be at least 3 mill to plate and 3.5 mill to the transfers or oscillators. I would not use total due to it being acidic. Poly plates unlike metal use glycerin. Total has little or non of this. Try a silver master or mega fountain if it is still made. As mentioned the rollers probably need replacing. Cougar is also high in calcium at least the white is. Get some roller relief or some other calcium fighting solution and see if that helps

Last edited:
Roller stripes should be at least 3 mill to plate and 3.5 mill to the transfers or oscillators. I would not use total due to it being acidic. Poly plates unlike metal use glycerin. Total has little or non of this. Try a silver master or mega fountain if it is still made. As mentioned the rollers probably need replacing. Cougar is also high in calcium at least the white is. Get some roller relief or some other calcium fighting solution and see if that helps

I agree, I have the same press, give Erick at Pressman's Pride - Chemgon, Commercial Printer Supply, Pressroom Supplies a call he'll probably send you a free sample, I actually look forward to printing at the moment.

Harvey

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back