trap on reverse text

emyster

Description:

Adobe Indesign file with 3 spot colors (black, PMS130 and PMS485). In the layout, there is some white reverse text over a solid 485 red background. The nearest other colour is at least 0.25" away.

My problem:

Some (not all) of the reverse text on my 485 plate is having trapping applied (choking).

I've tried sending separations (with application trapping) as well as using Trap Pro on our ECRM RIP v7.2. Each time I get "problem" areas in the text.

Love to hear any suggestions?

Maybe you could try making a custom picture box that is not overlapping the other box. The software thinks it needs to trap.

Do you send a composite to your rip or do you send separations usually? If you print separations sometimes you get this problem. You can try sending a composite and let the rip handle the seps. Are you sending a pdf to the rip or printing directly from InDesign?

Last edited:
I thought of that too but makes no difference. It's really strange.

I've also tried outlining the text and changing the layer order.

For a quick workaround, maybe you could set the text to 0% of PMS 130? Or maybe 0% of a PMS 130/485 blended color?

I just tried changing it from white to 0% 485 and 0% 130 and still no luck.

May have just discovered the problem. About .25" away from the text there is a small drop shadow on another row of text. Removing it (which isn't really an option) resolves the issue.

If you are printing the document, the drop shadow should be turning into a flattened image. The edge of that image is probably where the trapping changes. You probably have a setting in your RIP (it's "image boundaries" in mine) for trapping vector objects to images that you can turn off.

Did you try bringing the reversed text to the front?
if it is behind the test that has the dropshadow, that may be what is causing the wierd trap. I've run into this a few times before.

Thanks for the suggestion, yes... I had thought of that too.

Working with the suggestion by J. Graham's to try 0%, I tried 1% 485 so it wasn't white and it works. The screen value is so light, it's not really going to make a difference in the output.

Thanks all for your help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back