Trash, picking, hickeys...

TheProcessIStheproduct

Tons of trash lately, tried all the normal suspects; calcium rinse, cleaned roller ends, flush royse, switched ink, etc...

See a good bit of paper trash on blankets, I suspect picking, because of the sheer number of hickeys, but also can trace back to switching to IBF thermal plate, feels "sticky" and I think normal trash that the delta's typically take care of are getting stuck on the plate...IS THIS CRAZY? Has anyone seen plates influence frequency of hickeys?

Things I have not tried; switching blankets, switching plates, anti-pile additive to chemistry?

check form roller pressures. Weak stripes will not pull off hickeys. Also are the thermal plates developed on the presss or do they get processed on a processor?.

hickies

hickies

Can't see it being the plate giving you hickies. Plates will go blind or senistive to scratches are more common plate problems. Pull rollers and clean then for a start. Then you can reset your rollers that should really help. A couple times a week run in some roller cleaner or deglazer on the rollers as part of a maint routine.Hope that helps

Shitty paper. Is this happening on all grades of stock or just a certain one for a certain job? What pms and kind of ink are you running

Take tape samples off the blanket and stick them to acetate. Save the carton information from which the stock came and talk to your paper supplier.

We used to run a bullshit pocket folder on some felt weave crap with a pms mostly consisting of tint base. I don't feel the ink batch was right. You could barely push it in the ink train. Hell, you so much as wave a ink knife over the rollers and it was too much. The tack got so high it pulled everything off the sheet.

Never chased hickeys so much in my life. Stop start stop start. Wash blanket. Wipe blanket etc.. We all knew every time that job came around what to expect. Less squeeze more squeeze didn't matter. We finally began running the sheets through on impression without printing just to get all the lint off the stock. A manageable option if its for less than a 1000 sheets, but for larger runs put your sunglasses on and pretend nothing ever happened.

Using thermal processed plates (IBF), switched from Aurora, which has almost a ceramic surface and seemed way more slick (image area and non-image), that is why I think the delta's could more efficiently take debris off the plate, you could see trash come and couple sheets later go, but now everything gets stuck, even pickers will not remove it most of the time.

Have seen it on a couple of different stocks, mainly house sheet grades, total agreement about paper being as crappy these days as I have ever seen it, trashy, blade marks, tape splices, sheeted poorly...very sloppy, mainly domestic sheets, but that is rabbit to run on a different thread...

What is "size" on the first unit, is that running a wet plate, or actually sealing with a varnish or something???

We call it Dust and Size, We seal the board with an extender. We have a 6 colour press so we can do it on 5 colour jobs or less, 6 colour jobs if the hickeys are real bad we size first then print.

Tons of trash lately, tried all the normal suspects; calcium rinse, cleaned roller ends, flush royse, switched ink, etc...

See a good bit of paper trash on blankets, I suspect picking, because of the sheer number of hickeys, but also can trace back to switching to IBF thermal plate, feels "sticky" and I think normal trash that the delta's typically take care of are getting stuck on the plate...IS THIS CRAZY? Has anyone seen plates influence frequency of hickeys?

Things I have not tried; switching blankets, switching plates, anti-pile additive to chemistry?

Problem is probably paper or paper cutting(dull blade?)!!!
You can use a tap cloth to wipe edges of paper after cutting to remove debris, or Glycerin on lint free cloth,
Try a quicker release blanket!!!, the particales wash away and don't stay stuck on the blanket.
Quick release blankets tend to have a rougher finish, and thus increase dot gain. Don't worry too much, you can pull back density a bit and still match sample/proof. Much better then a big hickey problem!!
Good luck!
John

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back