Tresu modular coating unit

madjock

I have asked this question before without any response so I am trying again, does anyone have experience with Tresu's modluar coating systems.
My workplace has one on their SM 40" and there is nothing we can do to stop the coating building up on the last transfer cylinder and marking the sheet, Hiedelberg recommend smearing oil on it, this works for about 1,000 impressions then you have to wipe it and re-apply, after hearing this they suggested smearing a light film of grease on the cylinder, I haven't tried that as I know it's a waste of time.
I was wondering if anyone out there has a better suggestion?

Can the cylinder be removed? Is it a cylinder with grippers,or just a drum? We always run with no drum after our coaters. We have discs we can put in gutter areas,but I can't remember the last time I've seen one used. This is on Speedmasters,CD's,XL's ect. Sorry for my ignorance,but I've never seen a transfer after the coater,so I'm just trying to picture your set up in my mind. Is this on a dual coater press,and it is marking after the first coating unit?
We have run special fast dry coatings from Prisco on certain jobs in the past. Maybe that would help?

Last edited:
DUH,my mistake,I just figured out that your coater is one that is used on a regular printing unit.
Yes,pics would help.I assume that no after market airknife is before the transfer that is marking?

The tresu coating system fits on the last printing unit, we have on on the 6th unit as well, so in theory we can perfect coated work, but that has yet to happen, if ever.
Basically how it works is there is an anilox roller and a chambered doctor blade which fits in where the blanket washer usually goes, then right in front of the impression cylinder there are a set of lamps that fit in, then right in front of that a set of air knives which also slide in, it all works reasonably well except for the marking issue.
I hear that there are not too many of these units around so it's hard to get advice and answers, here is the link to the Tresu website.

TRESU: Modular Coating Unit (MCS)

Have they tried different materials on the cylinder? Blue Glass, Sphere Coat, Super Blue ?? Any changes with these products? Which brand of coating are you running?

The cylinder has a special jacket which is different from the others, I think it has the usual glass or silicone beads on it so there is not much scope for using anything else, plus apparently the clearance is crucial, and because it gets pretty hot superblues wouldn't be a good idea.
We are using Saphira coating as supplied by Heidelberg.

Sounds like your loyal to H-berg. Have the technicians ever mentioned a modification for that transfer unit. You could put the older style star wheel configuration off that unit like a S line machine.

The latest update in this on-going saga is....a Heidelberg engineer came in the other day to have a look at our sample sheets, and then make sure that everything was working as it should be and check out the clearances between cylinders, then all that data goes back to HQ for them to digest and come up with a better solution than wiping oil on the transfer cylinder!
I did mention making a modification but was told that Heidelberg don't tend to do such things, or only as a last resort at least.
Will keep you posted, unless someone out there has the solution.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back