Trick to keep ink from skinning over in can...

LWelch

I use process blue and medium red only one or two days each month, is there any way to keep them from skinning over in the can? I throw away about half as much as I use each issue. . .

We used to put a piece of plastic wrap (from the shrinkwrap machine) on top and it still skinned, but pulled away easier. Metallic inks are the worst!

Get yourself some Anti skin spray and cut a wax sheet circle that will fit snuggly inside the tin of ink. spray the sheet with anti skin and place inside the can so that it covers all of the ink.
Anti-Skin Spray

good luck

better get those inks in cartridges, and get a cheap pressure powered ink cartridge gun from technotrans. It's called easy fill, check it at the link below, it's the lowest item... i bought one, it wasn't too expensive...

Ink Dispensing Systems

I use process blue and medium red only one or two days each month, is there any way to keep them from skinning over in the can? I throw away about half as much as I use each issue. . .

Just a thought - since oil and water don't mix - what would happen if you poured about 1/4 inch of water into the can and then closed it? The water should prevent the ink from oxidizing and when you want to use the ink just pour out the water.

Might be worth a try unless someone already knows why it wouldn't work.

best, gordo

Just a thought - since oil and water don't mix - what would happen if you poured about 1/4 inch of water into the can and then closed it? The water should prevent the ink from oxidizing and when you want to use the ink just pour out the water.

Might be worth a try unless someone already knows why it wouldn't work.

best, gordo

should work in theory, but i am sure there is a reason why it won't work in reality, otherwise why do pressmen spray antiskin spray on ink?

should work in theory, but i am sure there is a reason why it won't work in reality, otherwise why do pressmen spray antiskin spray on ink?

For the same reason people buy bottled tap water that they can get for free?

best, gordo

For the same reason people buy bottled tap water that they can get for free?

best, gordo

It's just more convenient or better sometimes... for example, where i live tap water doesn't taste as good as bottled water. Also in the case of ink, imagine every time you have to put water then remove it from the container... isn't the spray more convenient? (that is if it's not at a premium price, which it isn't for us). Not to mention that the there will still be water left with the ink, and it will get in the ink train... not sure how much of an effect that will have on printing.

It's just more convenient or better sometimes... for example, where i live tap water doesn't taste as good as bottled water. Also in the case of ink, imagine every time you have to put water then remove it from the container... isn't the spray more convenient? (that is if it's not at a premium price, which it isn't for us). Not to mention that the there will still be water left with the ink, and it will get in the ink train... not sure how much of an effect that will have on printing.

I'm lucky to live where the tap water tastes and is great. But you're right sometimes bottled water can be better than what comes from the local tap.
Water (fountain solution) and ink mix on press anyway so the few drops of water that might remain in the can of ink shouldn't have any effect at all.

best, gordo

Some inks, especially metalics, can be very soupy. Pouring water off could be disasterous for your plumbing. For more sturdy inks I could see this work.

Ask your ink vendor for an ink that stays open. Our CMYKs stay open and we only clean ink wells once a week on our presses. I know superior and kohl Madden have stay open inks in all the mixing colors and we have had it specified for our reflex blue.

One problem I can think of adding water to a pms can is rust. Seems to me that part of offset printing requires a certain amount of emulsification which might happen putting water on top of ink.

Ink Skinning

Ink Skinning

Gordo, yes water will prevent skinning over, just not practiable -- Loose Lids/Lost Lids, water evaporates, you've
visited enough printers to know that housekeeping is not a strong point!

Gentlemen, the easiest solution use Anti-Skin Spray or buy Ink in Vacuum Packed Containers (Lids)

fao - RGPW, Emulsification is only formed when Ink/ F.S. meet in the roller train nips.

Comment - other factors affecting ink drying more than outweigh the use of - Stay Open Inks

Regards, Alois

Comment - other factors affecting ink drying more than outweigh the use of - Stay Open Inks
Regards, Alois

We have used water on top of the Silver in the tin. Works okay. We now have a silver that doesn't skin over from Toyo and so less waste.

Alois Senefelder, no disrespect to you, but there are stay open process inks available for today's printers that dry immediately.

We are using a Process set that is duct fresh, and we leave it in the duct all week. It does not skin in the can even with the lid left off but it dries very quickly.
Heavy coverage on silk / matte stocks, dry to back up in 5 min's, dry to cut/fold/finish in the hour.

ink is not 100% oil, so water does react with it over a long enough time, things like water activated driers will react with the water and make a soupy mess

Last edited:
which series?

which series?

We have used water on top of the Silver in the tin. Works okay. We now have a silver that doesn't skin over from Toyo and so less waste.

Alois Senefelder, no disrespect to you, but there are stay open process inks available for today's printers that dry immediately.

We are using a Process set that is duct fresh, and we leave it in the duct all week. It does not skin in the can even with the lid left off but it dries very quickly.
Heavy coverage on silk / matte stocks, dry to back up in 5 min's, dry to cut/fold/finish in the hour.

which series is this ink...

if i ever saw my 2nd pressman pour water on top of ink in a can, i would have to have that stopped right then and there.. this can and will create bad habits, and i am in charge of my crew,press, and materials that make the printing process work,, because water in the ink fountain will cause the ink ductor not to take ink which makes color go lite which makes 1st press operator mad which makes him want a drink of water.. and you should never put ink in water fountain,this will make color very heavy... kbarz

Water is ok if you are goingto use the can of ink within a few days. The can will rust quickly and cause other issues
if stored for longer periods of time. An ink oil like magie 47 or 52 will work too just pout it off when you go back to it

Any reason you require drier in that ink? Our inks stay "open" because most of them do not require drier. If you don't need it, call the ink company and have them formulate without drier. Do not use a non drier ink on glossy stock or on a product going through a laser printer.

I say water is best solution to skinning problem or at least inexpensive fix and the antispray can would be another as well that would definitely work.

How does the water stop the ink on the sides of the tin from skinning? or do you fill the can right up to the top with water. Sorry for the stupid questions but I have never even heard of using water to prevent ink skin.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back