Updating Acrobat

Bill W

Greetings,

I have 3 macs (G5, OS 10.4.10) running Acrobat Professional v7.02. I need to update them to 7.1. One computer I was successful at doing so via the Check for Updates in Acrobat.

Another one I was able to update to 7.0.5, even though as it was installing I received a message that indicated "The selected application's version is outside the range that can be updated with this installer". I closed this window and in the next window I had options including try to apply other downloaded updates. When I check this and hit ok the entire updater closed.

Unfortunately I had downloaded all the other updates and they were lost. I reopened Acrobat and in the About Acrobat it indicated that my version was now 7.0.5. However, cmd + I on the application still indicated it was version 7.02. After restart the application now reflects 7.0.5 in the info window - good - or?

I thought great, I will continue the updates one at a time. When I asked to check for updates, the updates window still includes the 7.0.5 update as though it is valid. I cannot remove it from the updates side.

On my third computer when I ask that the updates be downloaded, the Update Manager "closed unexpectedly".

Any and all help will be appreciated as this is very frustrating - three pretty identical computers and 3 unique problems with the Acrobat updater - really gets in the was of doing prepress work - ugh!!

-Bill-

Greetings,

I have 3 macs (G5, OS 10.4.10) running Acrobat Professional v7.02. I need to update them to 7.1. One computer I was successful at doing so via the Check for Updates in Acrobat.

Acrobat 7 is NOT SUPPORTED on Mac OS X 10.4 - you need to upgrade to at least Acrobat 8, though I would simply suggest that you go right to Acrobat 9.

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems

Greetings Leonard,

After some research and a call to Adobe, it appears that my only choice is to upgrade. We use Acrobat mainly as an interface to Prinergy. I am now confirming that Prinergy will work with Acrobat 9.0 as the last I heard was that is would not. Just got a confirmation - not supported.

Interesting though how Acrobat 7.1 updated and will work on one 10.4.10 computer, but will not update properly on the other 2, as they are all set up the same. Appears to be a problem with the update procedure, not the actually app. once it is running. Additionally Acrobat 7.1 updated and works fine on an old Dual G4 running 10.4.11.

-Bill-

I never said it didn't work - just that Adobe doesn't support that configuration, so you are "on your own"...

I never said it didn't work - just that Adobe doesn't support that configuration, so you are "on your own"...

Greetings Leonard,

Sorry, I did jump to a conclusion that was not supported by your response. My frustration is not with the V7 working, but the fact that the Acrobat updater does not work correctly on 2 out of the 3 computers; and, that this seems to be a problem that others face; and, Adobe's only response via phone is "sorry we no longer support this product"; AND, I can find no viable solution on the web to fix / replace the Acrobat updater.

-Bill-

Hi Bill

You should have no trouble with Acrobat 7.1.0 and OS X 10.4.x on a G5. I have this setup and it works just fine. Couple things. You can update up to 10.4.11, make sure you are the administrator on the computer for the adobe updater to work. Sometimes if you log in as another user who did not originally install the software you may not have access to run the updater.

Greetings,

The only way I could get two of the computers to update from 7.0 to 7.1 was to download each individual upgrade from the Adobe site (e.g. 7.0.3, 7.0.5, etc) and apply each of them one at a time.

A slow, around the corner way to do it, but it worked.

All is working correctly now and for the moment my little prepress universe is smelling like a rose. Ahh nirvana.

-Bill-

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back