Using Spectro on Offset?

arossetti

So our digital printing company just acquired an offset printer with a 1/2 sheet press. The prepress room has a pretty good color management process in place and create proofs/plates to GRACoL_2006. The press room however just eyeballs the contract proof to the press sheet. Eventually I would like to get them to print to the numbers but I also don't want to start off by investing $20,000 in a inteltrax or easytrax system.

Does anyone use an i1 Pro or an isis to scan color bars?
Is there a 30" track that can be used with an i1?
Is there a easier way than to free hand an i1, cutting a press sheet for an isis or a cheaper alternative to a trax system?

So our digital printing company just acquired an offset printer with a 1/2 sheet press. The prepress room has a pretty good color management process in place and create proofs/plates to GRACoL_2006. The press room however just eyeballs the contract proof to the press sheet. Eventually I would like to get them to print to the numbers but I also don't want to start off by investing $20,000 in a inteltrax or easytrax system.

Does anyone use an i1 Pro or an isis to scan color bars?
Is there a 30" track that can be used with an i1?
Is there a easier way than to free hand an i1, cutting a press sheet for an isis or a cheaper alternative to a trax system?

What is or will be your typical press run length?
Does the pressroom have a densitometer?
Do you have ink key presetting software?
What numbers are you referring to when you say: "I would like to get them to print to the numbers"

-Currently 5-10m sheet runs are the average 4/4
-10 years ago the press room was given a handheld gretagmacbeth densitometer which they refused to use; in addition to that I have 3 i1's and 1 isis with no home currently.
-No, I'm told that their workflow software (TrueFlow) will export CIP3 data for presetting but they have yet to figure out how to import that data into their console.
-12647-2 tolerances targeting GRACoL 2006.

I found this, which will work with my current i1's. PressSIGN seems to tackle everything I'm looking for with ink key adjustments and historical trending/reporting.

-Currently 5-10m sheet runs are the average 4/4

At those run lengths he's probably eyeballing the plates to set his ink keys, doing the make ready by eyeballing the initial sheets comparing color to the proof and then doing the run with maybe a couple of visual checks during the run to tweak density as the press stabilizes.

-10 years ago the press room was given a handheld gretagmacbeth densitometer which they refused to use; in addition to that I have 3 i1's and 1 isis with no home currently.

If they won't use a densitometer then they're certainly going to be adverse to a consul scanner.

-No, I'm told that their workflow software (TrueFlow) will export CIP3 data for presetting but they have yet to figure out how to import that data into their console.

In your case, this is the first thing that I would address. Ink key presetting will likely have the biggest initial positive impact in "printing by the numbers" in the pressroom and having a reliable print production process. Eyeballing plates to set ink keys is very unreliable and wastes time and materials.

--12647-2 tolerances targeting GRACoL 2006.

If you are expecting him to work with and print to Lab values - I think you're dreaming.

I think you've got a management issue rather than a technical one. This needs to be addressed by getting buy-in to making changes by the press operator or by saying goodbye to him.

One way is to make the pressroom part of the process of making the change. They may have an attitude of "why fix it if it ain't broke". Also, they may be intimidated by all the new terminology and tools being thrown at them by people who, in their opinion, don't know anything about running a press.

It also helps if you can tie a value to the pressroom for going through the process of change. What are their pain-points in running a press? How will the proposed change mitigate those pain-points. If the changes make their lives easier then they are more likely to adopt.

Etc., etc.

I found this, which will work with my current i1's. PressSIGN seems to tackle everything I'm looking for with ink key adjustments and historical trending/reporting.

Hi,
Presssign indeed answers a lot of your questions but you still need components to complete it. Something like Inkzone products to actually make a connection to your machine and make the Presssign suggested corrections and last but not least a good measurement device like Techkon SpectroDrive that measures your color bar with a push of a button and Presssign can use that measurment automatically.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back