UV Coater: TecLighting vs Duplo

jrsc

I am currently looking at either a Duplo Ultra 200A UV coater and a Teclighting Trucoat 21 inch. Right now both companies are having trouble finding a machine for me to look at the demo so I'm basically going off their websites, spec sheets, videos, the sale reps, and any reviews I can find. The duplo is a newer release so its hard to find much info about them. Does anybody have any hands on experience with one of both of these machines? Any info you have would be helpful. Thanks.

I am currently looking at either a Duplo Ultra 200A UV coater and a Teclighting Trucoat 21 inch. Right now both companies are having trouble finding a machine for me to look at the demo so I'm basically going off their websites, spec sheets, videos, the sale reps, and any reviews I can find. The duplo is a newer release so its hard to find much info about them. Does anybody have any hands on experience with one of both of these machines? Any info you have would be helpful. Thanks.

The Graphic Whizard line of UV Coaters are superior to those of Tec Lighting (even though they are both built in the same factory.

For more information, please visit: UV Coaters

David Spiel

We have had a TEC Lighting for 5 years or so now . . . installation and early support was kinda painful (not really that bad .. . but we're kinda tough on "new" installs) but since then we've been really happy with the machine . . .

There is more to consider in a UV coater than a specific manufacture or model. What substrates are you using and what are you imaging with?

In my previous life at Konica Minolta we had difficulty finding a suitable system as KM engines use a polymer toner. Not all systems nor UV coating materials will work well with it. Tec Lighting did manage a solution. They added an IR source along with the UV curing and extended out the delivery. This along with using the proper coating material made for a very nice consistent finish.

My point is that you absolutely want to see your product run successfully before buying.

If my memory on this is correct, Tec Lighting originally made UV coaters for Duplo before Duplo started buying them from China.

There is more to consider in a UV coater than a specific manufacture or model. What substrates are you using and what are you imaging with?

In my previous life at Konica Minolta we had difficulty finding a suitable system as KM engines use a polymer toner. Not all systems nor UV coating materials will work well with it. Tec Lighting did manage a solution. They added an IR source along with the UV curing and extended out the delivery. This along with using the proper coating material made for a very nice consistent finish.

My point is that you absolutely want to see your product run successfully before buying.

If my memory on this is correct, Tec Lighting originally made UV coaters for Duplo before Duplo started buying them from China.

I think the advice supplied above is on target. I'm a supplier of UV coatings and knowing all the pieces in the process will enable you to make the best decision. The Konica-Minolta note is a very important one as these inks can be more challenging. However there are products that will work well both with and without IR assist. Assemble samples of the kinds of prints you plan to coat and work with the equipment suppliers to get "real-world' demos so you know whether you'll get the result you desire. If your not getting the results with the equipment vendors products (their coatings), seek other sources. Best of luck.

"While both the Graphic Whizard and Tec machines were initially built in the same factory, a new modern factory was built nearby which is where the Graphic Whizard coaters are now built." They can quote me on that if they want.

You should also consider American Ultraviolet. They just purchased Al's Co and Press Specialties. Their machines are American made and have available parts. If you are going to Graph Expo in Chicago, I know they will have a booth there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back