Variable Work Flow Solutions

slehning

Looking for some input as to what others are doing to handle the ever increasing level of complex variable files going to their Indigo digital devices.

We are a Mid-size print shop that have been in the VDP game for a few years now. We started with an Indigo 3000 and just doing one sided mailing lists and one sided variable name badges.

Now we have still, an Indigo 3000 and a 5500. We are now doing complex variable 2 sided with variable stylized text and images with text being formatted in Photoshop. We are using Indesign 4.0 and Smart Stream to create the variable and send a variety of formats directly to the Indigos, such as JLYT, PDF optimised, & fast optimised templates to attempt to get these files to work and RIP.

Not only are the complexity of the jobs getting greater, but the records are up in the 25000 2sided range.

We are running Prinergy as well, have some what looked into Darwin which produces PDF's of the records which still have to RIP and print on the Indigo, not to mention are very cumbersome to manage as well.

The main issue is that we are having an extremley difficult time getting these files to RIP on the Indigos and meet our deadlines.

Just looking for some input as to what others maybe doing.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

On the speed issue, volume issue, PDF optimization issue and integration issue, we can help you with our scalable server imposition solution. Impostrip OnDemand Scalable Server is designed to accelarate and to optimize processing of variable data, transactional, publishing and similar POD jobs. The basic solution comes with 2 imposition servers and can be scaled up to 16 servers on the network. IODSS is capable of imposing tens of thousands of pages in MINUTES.

If you want to discuss further, please contact me offline.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
www. imposition.com

raymond @ imposition.com

This might be a silly question, but why are you outputting to PDF when printing VDP. The RIP time will be horrendous. Normally, you use Optimised PS or even better VPS or PPML where the static images etc are cached locally on the printer and only the changeable objects/text are sent.

You have XMPIE uDirect plugin for InDesign to merge and output print to PPML. Not too sure about Darwin, but that should support output to VPS and PPML.

RE-Phrase Work Flow VDP

RE-Phrase Work Flow VDP

OK.

Let me then rephrase the question.

Just curious what is the best VDP software / Hardware solution that can create complex 2 sided variable using text and images without crashing the RIP or bringing it to a standstill on the Indigo's.

The solution would also have to be able to send variable file formats to multiple devices, all different brands as well. Just as I say curious what other may be using to resolve some similar issues.

Thanks

The solution would also have to be able to send variable file formats to multiple devices, all different brands as well. Just as I say curious what other may be using to resolve some similar issues.

As you want to sent the job to multiple device, the economical way depands on the formats supported in the RIP, so I think there is not the best way existed. I think it's better you list the model of all your devices and RIP name.

Can you tell us more about the Indigo architecture you currently have?

I don't believe you'll get any huge improvement on the Indigo without a server based RIP in front of them. We have been very successful using XMPie uDirect with PPML output to our 5500. However, I will say that files with transparency can be painful to produce output from. In this case you've got to carefully pre-flatten portions of the design or rely on a server based VDP solution like Personal Effect.

I have recently been reviewing the HP server solutions and my contacts indicate that with the SmartStream servers you'd want to stay away from PostScript since the RIP will not distribute that file across multiple processors. They indicate best solutions are PPML and PDF/VT for the type of work you are talking about.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back