Varn Natural wash

Varn chemicals & Saphira are the same yes?

Looking at the Varn Natural wash, it is listed as Varns environmental wash - Please review the TDS & MSDS.
I'm a little slow, but could someone please point out environmental ingredients, and the vegetable based ingredients.
TDS
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...9IGIBg&usg=AFQjCNHBc0czqpcFwJGjkWlzqDxtdtl7Bg
MSDS
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...5oDgCA&usg=AFQjCNH_LBwxBJRbypd5WkUIMwWR2sTouQ

The following is probably plant based and it is at 1% or less.

AMINE ETHOXYLATE (EINECS - OECD Polymer)
61791-26-2 Xn ,N R-22, 38, 41, 50/53

The balance is up to 75% petroleum Naphtha and DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM).

The MSDS states COMPOSITION COMMENTS: A petroleum distillate blend

The natural part of the name is true since petroleum is a natural product just like cow dung is natural.

In other words same BS just a different day.

Last edited:
A very large portion of the chemical manufacturers must think printers are idiots just about anything with the words natural or green used in the description is good for a sale.

Those involved in this industry who keep their mouth shut and are afraid to make a comment contribute to the ruse allowing it to perpetuate.

Last edited:
I know this product contains basically zero ingredients that would be considered environmental, Just wanted to bring it to peoples attention & see if perhaps I missed something (Ie possible the ingredient profile has only listed the hazardous chemicals, but not the full make up of the product.)
It has a high flashpoint of just under 100deg celsius, so either this stems from the type of naphtha they have used, or it has a large diluent content, water, or there is a % of vegetable compounds that have raised the flashpoint.

There are many industries here in Aus that are guided and kept in line due to the regulations and fines for (Greenwashing) in their marketing, or laying false claims that a product/service is Environmental.

I just can't understand, how or why the printing industry, when it is such a large manufacturing industry is left to make any claims it wants without any retribution

Lukew
In virtually all parts of the world nothing is done until a formal complaint is made to the proper authorities in the country where the alleged infraction took place. Then is is wait and see if any thing ever happens. If anything does come of it usually the manufacturer is contacted and asked to change the wording. I have not seen any fines or financial retribution imposed because of greenwashing.
Until some chemical manufacturer has a big bite taken out of their pocket book nothing will change and the status quo will continue.

The ethoxylated amine is a fatty acid ester (tallow) used to combine whatever water content the product has with the solvent ingredients. This surfactant would also make the product somewhat water miscible. Marketing this as a 'natural' product is pretty miss-leading, but as Green Printer points out, these are all 'natural ingredients'. My guess is this product is pretty old and the marketing sort of made sense at the time.

The ethoxylated amine is a fatty acid ester (tallow) used to combine whatever water content the product has with the solvent ingredients. This surfactant would also make the product somewhat water miscible. Marketing this as a 'natural' product is pretty miss-leading, but as Green Printer points out, these are all 'natural ingredients'. My guess is this product is pretty old and the marketing sort of made sense at the time.

According to the Flint web site pdf this products paperwork was last changed in 2009. Flint knows what they were saying about the product. Dan you hit the nail on the head about marketing. As usual the marketing of Flint was playing on the printers lack of knowledge about this type of product.
This Forum and it's knowledge is available to EVERYONE on the net. As this continues to permeate throughout the net more and more of the general public will see that this industry has a lot of skeletons in the closet which probably will further erode the printing market.
The part of this all that is totally wrong are those succeeding in running clean facilities yet they are classified as an industry whole with those who are not.
Why should a printer put forth all of the energy and funds to become certified when eventually all printers will be required to use clean consumables.
I think that when the baby boomers try to sell their business and are required to do an environmental analysis of the facility before it can be sold is where the extreme trouble will be revealed and those looking to retire will be stuck with land and buildings that they virtually cannot sell without an environmental clean bill of health.

http://www.flintgrp.com/en/document...ature/Chemical-Products/Aust/Natural_Wash.pdf

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back