Water pooling at the bottom of solids

Ajax

Just drained and flushed my water tank. Put fresh and same fountain solution in and now I'm getting water pooling at the start of solids on the plate. Takes about forty sheets to somewhat settle down but even then seams unstable. You can see water everwhere. Not just washed out but swish swashes and all around.

Using 1.25oz per gallon of two step fountain solution and adding more causes lines in solids as if you had too much ink and water in the rollers.

I've checked these roller settings over and over and by the book. I'm at a loss. Never seen this before in my two decades of printing.

The water is semi filtered but not distilled by any means and has worked as recent as before it was changed.

Ideas?

It might just be a case of fresh, new solution and water may be providing you with better dampening all over? Have you been able to drop your water feed speeds down in general?? Perhaps your pre-damp settings can be dropped to "low" as well (if applicable on the press you're running)...

We've changed fount recently and were able to come down roughly 5-6% in general, but I've noticed in the past that cleaning the reservoir has improved the dampening performance in general...

I have lowered the waters but after the thirty forty or so sheets inks begin to scum up. It's quite the conondrum. I'm pulling hair here.

Last edited:
Maybe worth testing your levels then... Perhaps your doser needs priming and isn't sucking up fountain solution, or it's a possibility you've botched the percentages when hand dosing?

No other changes to chemistry? Did you run a cleaning solution? It's possibly contaminated so perhaps a dump and an hour with water only before refilling with premixed solution may help...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back