What are the most common problems you see with customer files?

ryankirk

A former professor of mine, Lorraine Donegan at Cal Poly's Graphic Communication Dept, is speaking to two separate groups of graphic designers. She is seeking feedback from prepress depts to address current pitfalls (missing fonts, etc) and will use this information in her presentations. If you have a few minutes to fill out her survey, I'm sure it would really help her out.

Prepress Pitfalls

People that don't follow directions. I ask for a packaged file and even explain how to do it. I get a folder full of everything they have on their PC. Another one is low res PDF's. Copy and pasting RGB images in InDesign and then using CMYK transparency effects is another good one I see a lot. As more and more amateurs prepare their own files for print, and the software engineers keep adding "features", this is only going to get worse I'm afraid. To bad a save from any application doesn't package everything by default...

Prepress woes

Prepress woes

I would like to respond to her survey but our workflow really is unique and her questions only allowed me to answer a few as based on our work flow. The company I work for allows for the submission of PDF files as camera ready art. But because of one of our service providers we have to convert all of the received PDFs into Illustrator files, Freehand files, or .eps graphics with all text objects converted to outlines. WE need to do this to manipulate spacing between pages and panels in order to position how the artwork is to print to fit the dies we are using for each particular job. Customer's just create their forms as they want to see them, and they tell us what panel they want each form.

My main suggestions would be for her to tell her students would be not to create artwork for professional printing using any of the Microsoft office software since it really isn't made for using in commercial printing.

Word (which many of our art submissions are created in) will not tell you when it substitutes a font your customer used that you don't have in your system. It just substitutes. What appears to be strokes in Word actually are fills. Word, Excel are in the RGB color space and all have to be converted to CMYK.

PDFs made from Office software have clipping paths, and these have to be carefully eliminated in order to correct the color problems (in my experience anyway).

We do not have Quark on our computers so we can only deal with Quark files as PDFs. PDF files from Quark also have some hiccups. Each individual letter is a text box unto itself, so performing spellcheck is a nightmare. Clipping paths are abundant with each object on the page tied to the page/artboard size. In order to position these to order our mats we have to remove all of them being careful not to remove something that is hidden by a clipping mask.

Of course there are always the missing fonts. Our customers aren't graphic designers, so they don't realize that it would be helpful to give us copies of all the fonts they used in their file. If they did that we might be able to add them to our system (only if the originator is on a windows platform, we don't have MACs in our artroom). I think that I would stress the use of opentype fonts over the old standards of Postcript (type 1) fonts or true type fonts just because of the cross platform compatibility.

I think that I would stress to the designers that if they can, know where and how the files are to be printed in order that they get in contact with the printer and have long meaningful discussions with the prepress people on how they should submit their files. I know that it's a Utopian dream to think that we would ever get 90% of our files without some kind of problem but we can always hope.

It also would be great if there were classes out there where we prepress people could be taught how to trouble shoot the supposed camera ready art that gets sent to us rather than having to learn on the job as you go under deadline pressures.

I wish I could have said all this in her survey. And I know that all of you with the full color work have even more problems than we can in our small shop.

Bill J

Short list.......

COLOR! RGB DOES NOT EQUAL CMYK
LINKS or lack thereof.
Transpoarency issues. Some customers sure do like fancy effects that just won't rip right.
MAking things spot colors that really aren't supposed to be.

And the next time someone sends me a Corel Draw or Word doc, I'm going to find them and beat them.

And the next time someone sends me a Corel Draw or Word doc, I'm going to find them and beat them.

Nothing wrong with Corel Draw if the people who use it know what they are doing!
I started in Corel Draw and Ventura 15 years ago and I still have a client that supplies files from Corel Draw that are flawless.

Nothing wrong with Corel Draw if the people who use it know what they are doing!
I started in Corel Draw and Ventura 15 years ago and I still have a client that supplies files from Corel Draw that are flawless.

Your first sentence was the giveaway....
I rarely run across people who know how to use that program properly.

I routinely have to deal with Microsoft PDF's and have very little problems with them. As long as they embed the fonts I'm good to go for the most part. Pit Stop takes care of the color issues, and I've never see a problem with "clipping paths" from Word doc PDF's.

Forgive the commercial message, but this is why we created SurePDF, a PDF Print Driver based on Genuine Adobe PDF JobReady.

Users submit jobs from their Mac or PC by "File -> Print -> yourprintcenterhere" and the PDF is created using their fonts, their applications, and the print center's specifications (resolution, fonts, colors). Upon approval by the end user, it is then automatically uploaded so there are no FTP hassles or bounced emails, etc.

Sure, SurePDF is a Print Driver add-on to WebCRD. If you visit www.rocsoft.com, and create a login, you can see a demo of WebCRD including SurePDF. (Our new website is coming soon, and it won't require a login!)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back