What Distiller setting can handle DCS files?

Gregg

I have a Quark 4 document that has a Photoshop DCS file in it. The DCS file makes use of one spot channel. When I rip a PDF the image, that is originally a 300dpi CMYK DCS file, becomes a 72dpi RGB file. I have tried my custom distiller setting, Press Quality, and PDF/X-3.

Any advice?

I am wondering if it has to do with Quark 4. So I am going to do a test with ID CS 2 and see if I get the same results.

Re: What Distiller setting can handle DCS files?

Try resaving the DCS file in Photoshop as a single file DCS instead of a Multiple file DCS.

For distilling I would suggest the PDFX/1 setting.

Not sure if it wil work, but you can try.

The original DCS file was, in fact, a single file DCS.

I have a feeling it is ancient Quark 4. I placed the same DCS file into a ID doc. ripped a PDF using Press Quality and it came out fine.

Since this job is a rush, I am just going paste the spot channel into the composite (on it's own layer) and set it to multiply. The spot channel is just a Black (used for other language editions).

I will investigate further though.

Sounds like you're trying to run out DCS2 files in a composite workflow. Quark was never good at this (DCS files are preseparated). What you're getting out is the lo-rez preview. If your RIP will support it, send the file separated. If your RIP won't support it, you could try opening the document in InDesign - it copes with this issue.

Third option is to run the DCS2 file through DCS Merger (impressed.de). It packages the DCS file in such a way that Quark can output it in a composite mode.

rich

That's right, Rich. I am trying to incorporate it into a composite workflow (I'm sending the PDF to my printer vendor, not directly to press).

Thanks for the advice.

Rich,

I haven't tried this myself, but since Quark 7 allows Photoshop .psd files directly, couldn't the original poster probably open the Quark 4 document in Quark 7 and resave the DCS2 as a Photoshop .psd and relink into Quark 7? Just a thought. I do agree with your previous advice, just wondering if this could also be a good workaround.

Don

Yes, it's a possibility, but Quark's .psd support is questionable at best.

Also, if vector output is desired (vector type as an example), an EPS format is required - unless outputting directly from Photoshop.

rich

Edited by: Rich Apollo on Sep 11, 2007 11:12 AM

Totally understood. I can't recommend Quark 7 either in most any case except maybe this one if it worked, so the original poster wouldn't have to buy a program and could use what they might already have (if they have QX7, but yes type rewrap would be just one possible problem they could be creating by using Quark 7). Again, your first reply in this thread really says it all.

Don

quark and dcs and out to pdf wont work

resave the dcs as a psd file, place that in illy, save as an eps and drop that into quark

We printed separations out of Quark as postscript and distill the PS file.

T

which is fine for a seperated workflow

for a composite it wont work - you either buy third party software to make up for quark's inability to process a file format whose cause it originally championed, or find a hoop to jump through - like my suggestion.

If you are going to place it in InDesign anyway just save the DCS as a PSD and place that in ID.

Save yourself all that Quark hassle.

Yeah, you can either of the following:
1. Place DCS in InDesign (page size same as image size), and export PDF/X-1a to stick in Quark 4 (I think that would work)
2. Save DCS from Photoshop as .psd, place in Illustrator, save as eps and stick in Quark for output (been a long time since I heard that workaround but it works great).
3. Use DCS Merger.
4. If you have Quark 7, open Quark 4 document, check type wrap to make sure it's the same, then open DCS in Photoshop, save as .psd and relink in Quark 7.

Whew! There are workarounds and we gotta be glad for them!

Don

if you're going a pdf route - just pdf out of photoshop....

as for placing the psd file in quack - best of luck.......it may be able to "do" it - better hope there's nothing touching that piccy box......will it convert to process if there is?....are you SURE?.....

as for buying dcs merger - why should you have to? its a quark problem - not your problem. these are common modern file formats quark simply cannot deal with - and in todays digital world that is truely pathetic.

the only reliable way is psd into illy, eps out (i suppose you could pdf out as well) - but place that pdf in quack - again - best of luck. the eps way is the only surefire way.

my advice: rebuild in indy and chuck quack from your mac - accept only pdf's from quack and pray.

Thanks for the advice. I came up with a quick fix on the day I started this thread, but will certainly use the DCS to Illy to Quark next time I run into a similar problem.

As far as chucking Quark – I'm the client, not the printer, so as much as I would like to ditch Quark, it's not an option.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back