What do Print Buyers think?

SteveAgfa

There's an interesting article in WhatTheyThink.com today
by Frank Romano who publishes Margie Dana's survey results.

Lots'a good reading in that survey. Here's one that stood out for me...

Would you follow your favorite print rep to a new firm?

Absolutely, without question 6.1%
Yes - providing the new firm measures up 63.6%
It totally depends on the new firm 30.3%
No 0.0%

And then there's another response that's a bit in contradiction...

How important are your CSRs in your dealings with printers?

As important to me as my sales reps 47.1%
More important to me than my sales reps 35.3%
It depends on the particular CSR 17.6%

So, have you hugged your sales rep and CSR today?

My favorite is:

Are you planning on doing any VDP projects?
• Yes, definitely 14.3%
• Maybe 14.3%
• I don't know what you mean 28.6%
• No 42.9%

With the massive vendor promotion directed at printers (and print buyers) over the past few years only 14.3% of this survey's print buyers intend to drink the Koolaid? And 28.6%, nearly one third, don't know what's being talked about, and 42.9% - nearly half - are saying NO to VDP.

Doesn't seem to speak well to the opportunities related to becoming a "Marketing Services Provider".
Time for a vendor reality check?

best, gordon

Isn't VDP something to do with video? Heh.

There really are some interesting numbers in there. There might be some good insight, in there, for sales reps.

VDP What?

VDP What?

You sure VDP isn't some kinda new STD?

But seriously, those are pretty telling numbers. We've done a few (think count on one hand) VDP projects over the last year but experienced very little repeat business from the customers that gave it a try. Not to say that it's a hopeless cause but rather that it's not a "build it an they will come" kind of print shop initiative. It's really a marketing initiative (nothing new here) and requires an executive sponsor within the company that is mounting the campaign.

I've also heard of a study that said that the younger generation do not like receiving personalized marketing materials because it makes them feel like there's a big brother watching.

VDP certainly has some value in the marketing mix for certain specific projects - but to do it right is an expensive complex process and, IMHO, is not the magic bullet for printers the way it is promoted by some vendors.

best, gordon p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back