What do you pay your pressman?

im seeing that lots of employers are taking advantage of this down economy to pay crap wages to their help. if your one of them employers then id ask you to consider how much importance you place on loyalty from your employees? When the worm turns (and it always does) you will be left with employees that will remember being taken advantage of and be scrambling for employment elsewhere. And it wont happen in your time!!!! Id suggest to be fair and to pay a prevailing wage with consideration to just how much money any given employee makes for the company. These principles will allow you "KEEP" your valued employees when things turn around.

Wow you sound like you have been burned real bad.
I was a production manager in nyc
and all lead pressmen got no less than $25.00 per hour
we had one pressman that was way above everyone else he was getting 37.50 per hour
and they all did a lot of overtime. I agree your printed product is as good as the person running it
and finishing it

Up in Canada here. Edmonton to be exact.Average wage for the big presses 28inch and up ranges from 30 to 35 and hour. Plus shift diff for nights 2 bucks more an hour. Pretty hard to avoid night shift on big presses due to the nature of the trade and rush jobs. Gotta agree you get what you pay for. Exp is worth every nickel. Pay a guy good money it's cheaper then re-runs and costly spoilage.

pay for pressman

pay for pressman

I think those are realistic numbers. I have seen work from 10.00 per hour pressmen and it ain't pretty. When I bring my Part time operators into my Bindery I pay them over 20.00. But they all know me, I know them and I have trust in what they do and I they know what I expect. My advice is if you have the volume to justify the right person expect to pay more but find someone who wants to help your business grow while they are working for you. They are out there you are just gonna have to go looking in other shops.

We are currently looking for digital pressmen and salary is open. Candidates I have spoken to cite 18-20 per hour.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back