What "fades" faster? CMYK or Pantone?

monq

Hi all,

If let's say that I've got some sort of Pantone background, with a lightfastness of around 3-4, and an equivalent CMYK background, which one of the two would suffer the "ravages of time" faster? CMYK or Pantone?

I am thinking here about packaging that would be essentially indoors, under quite a lot of artificial light but should not be receiving sunshine regularly.

Thanks!

Hi all,

If let's say that I've got some sort of Pantone background, with a lightfastness of around 3-4, and an equivalent CMYK background, which one of the two would suffer the "ravages of time" faster? CMYK or Pantone?

I am thinking here about packaging that would be essentially indoors, under quite a lot of artificial light but should not be receiving sunshine regularly.

If it fades before it's sold you've got bigger problems than lightfastness.

J

Your question does not give enough information to answer correctly. What color? What print process? What stock? Length of time printed product is expected to last without fade in the specified environment?

The color is a huge factor. Some pigments are naturally light fast. Most PMS colors can be mixed with light fast pigments. 4 cp colors can be purchased that are light fast. The stock is also a big contributor to longevity in light exposure. The desired color is a big factor when determining which way to go for light fast considerations.

BTW. My opinion of the Blue Wool Scale for lightfastness of inks is very low. It is a starting point toward developing light fast printed products but nothing more than that. When ink vendors start mentioning that their product meets a certain # on the BWS I know immediately that the Sales rep has no experience with light fast inks.

In the end, the best determination of which process to use is to test it yourself under the most similar circumstances to the end product.

Last edited:
jonprintz, thanks for your feedback.

Essentially - I am talking "generally" (which of course might be something stupid to do). I have quite a CMYK backgrounds used for some of our artwork, which I am trying to substitute by Pantone colours.

Basically - a CMYK that looks pretty simmilar to its Pantone counterpart / my assumption is that Pantone would take longer to fade because it would be a solid ink, instead that using a process).

But - your post highlights that I might be trying to get an idea of something that cannot be generalised, but discussed on a one to one basis.

Thanks for your reply!

You want an honest opinion: I think you're worrying about this way too much.

You're not creating artwork here or signage that's going to be out in the brutal sunlight.

You're creating packaging. My guess is that with standard inks, CMYK or Pantone, your product will reach its expiration date long before you see any noticeable loss of color in its package.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Correct Color - thank you very much, that's is excellent news. You are right - I am worrying far too much. The reason for this is that the agency that created this design in the first place worried far too little in various fronts (aka not testing at all if any of their concepts would work when printed) - and I am still paying the consequences on the daily praxis of creating projects...

But thanks for the thumbs up - it means that at least I do not have to worry about this one ;) Thx!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back