what is the best color for pressman uniforms?

Alex Arriaza

since 2004 or 2005 we've been applying C7 in our process, we had in that time a company that came to help us out with the process, during that time we were using red uniforms lol i dont know what kind of fashion was it but... so they suggested to use grey uniforms so it will help with color adjustments during the press run, but now im goin to buy new ones and im trying to find the best solution, what you guys think?

Last edited:
multicolored like a hawaiian shirt. doesnt show ink spots as much. I hope your press is gray too.

Last edited:
since 2004 or 2005 we've been applying C7 in our process, we had in that time a company that came to help us out with the process, during that time we were using red uniforms lol i dont know what kind of fashion was it but... so they suggested to use grey uniforms so it will help with color adjustments during the press run, but now im goin to buy new ones and im trying to find the best solution, what you guys think?

Grey or black or a combination of the two.
Here is a pic of a press operator at a Japanese printer that specializes in packaging for the cosmetic industry. Full grey bunny suit plus cap:

Bunny.jpg

North America, general commercial printer - light grey shirt, black pants:

Gray.jpg

Press operator at Print '09 - good for the brand, bad for color evaluation:

Red.jpg

best, gordon p

Last edited:
LOL, thanks for all the replies, by the way, what is the purpose of using grey hats?

I don't know if it's typical in Japan that press operators wear hats. The shop that I visited was absolutely sparkling clean. They print high end cosmetic packaging on cardboard, plastic, and foils and I'm sure that the outfits would go a way to impressing and visiting customers.

Or it might also be the same situation as printers who do food packaging. They don't want any hairs appearing in the final product. Here is a brand owner doing a press check:

Check-1.jpg

best, gordon p

Last edited:
I don't know if it's typical in Japan that press operators wear hats. The shop that I visited was absolutely sparkling clean. They print high end cosmetic packaging on cardboard, plastic, and foils and I'm sure that the outfits would go a way to impressing and visiting customers.

Or it might also be the same situation as printers who do food packaging. They don't want any hairs appearing in the final product. Here is a brand owner doing a press check:

Check.jpg

best, gordon p

The brand owner is not wearing the hair net properly. It should cover all the hair. Not a good picture to show customers. :)

Your updated photo is now much better. I now feel safe. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Gord has it right.

Companies also like their operatives to wear uniforms with hats overthere.

Gord: did you ever see a crew change over of a "bullet" train.
The new crew walk down the platform in step like an army detail all dressed in nice blue uniforms. The engineer looks like an airline pilot with his flight bag etc. And white gloves. It's all very formal.

Kind of just like we hand over the press at shift change .

NB: Press Operators should wear grey gloves, what do you think?

In Japan all feeder operators, press assistants etc are supposed wear white gloves when handling paper etc.

The brand owner is not wearing the hair net properly. It should cover all the hair. Not a good picture to show customers. :)

You're a tough crowd. I think the pic was taken just after he saw his packaging printed with FM screening for the first time. I've updated the photo with another which was taken before he looked closely at the screening. :)

best, gordon p

my feeling is that if your on a sheetfed press thats using spray powder then light grey is the best color. work uniforms in a sheetfed enviroment usually get dingy lookin when they get spray powder on them. light grey has little contrast to the white of the powder

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back