What makes it Polar?

MJNC

Hey Peaceful PrintPlanet folk.
I have a question. We have a “Polar Cutter” for chopping jobs post-press. Why is it called “Polar”, tho? Is it referring to the threaded pole that adjusts the trim size up and down?
I have been looking on line for an answer; Wikipedia has nothing, and all other hits that I get in Google or Bing are from people selling equipment. There’s not even a entry in any of the glossaries that I usually hit up for industry info.
If anyone knows what makes it Polar, please send me back an answer. Thanks in advance!
Peace to the PrintPlanet!
_mjnc

Polar, yes!

Polar, yes!

i guess somehow some 40 years ago, i saw in a very old polar cutter the logo "polar mohr" mohr being the company in germany and there was this embossed design that resembles a polar bear. i guess the people who built them must have some fascination with polar bears..!...?

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thank you Joe, for providing me the link! Now I get it. And here it is.

This was the year when the name "POLAR" was born: Adolf Mohr was the first manufacturer to produce ball-bearing cutter blocks. This innovation prevented the cutter blocks from overheating when they were rotating at high speed in lamina planing machines. During their operation the “poles” of the cutter blocks, i.e. the bearings, remained cool, - as cool as the poles of the Earth. So the name “POLAR” was soon spread over the world along with the cutter block, which was characteristic for its patented knife fixture.

Thanks again;
Peace to the PrintPlanet
_mjnc

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back