What Printing Technique to use for printing on PP Spunbond Non Woven?

abhir.

Hello friends,

I am a total noob when it comes to printing technology. I was wondering if you could help me with following...

My printing requirement is as follows...
Substrate: Polypropylene Spunbond Non Woven Fabric (15~25gsm)

Color: 4 Color

Roll-to-Roll Printing

Now what printing technique should I use....
a) Flexo/Offset/Screen Printing?

b) What Ink should I use? (Ink/color should be Odorless, Non-Toxic and Dry Quickly).

c) UV Curing or Solvent Base?

Edit1: I would like to add that I want to keep printing cost to minimum possible.

Edit2: I do not need long lasting print, but print and fabric both should be flexible and breathable. (That is air pass through fabric after print easily and print do not break/crack when the fabric is folded and ironed).

Last edited:
I personally would look into flexo for this, it should meet your requirements. Also are you sure this substrate is breathable?

Substrate is a term used in converting process such as printing or coating as a more general term to describe the base material onto which e.g. images will be printed. Base materials include (though are not limited to): plastic films or foils....

This means the substrate in my case is PP Spunbond Non-Woven Fabric. (15-25gsm)

Yes, I need the print to be breathable. (that is ink do not block the pores in the fabric)

Yes the flexo is the best option for you but you can ask for gravure from expert. flexo and gravure both methods have quick drier ingredients in their inks.
flexo can be cost efficient.

i spoke to some printing service provider,they say that it is not possible to print on 20gsm because the ink will pass through the fabric and reach other side of the fabric.
they say that minimum gsm required is 50gsm.

i would like to know your opinion.

consult with other service provider.
tissue papers are printing with flexo printing. How it is not possible?

hello friends,

thank you for all your help and suggestions.

I found a company who can do flexographic printing for me on a 25GSM PP Spunbond Nonwoven fabric.

Regarding Ink he suggested me Water based ink which would not have any smell. neither it will be toxic.

But the print quality is not what I wanted. Print quality it's more like screen printing.
I asked if any pictures like human face, or picture of any landscape can be printed on it, but he said that stereo for flexographic printer are not capable to print what I wanted.
also as the fabric is so thin, color depth is also not very good.

So I came to ask for your suggestions again.
I read about HD Flexo, but nowhere I can find any info whether it HD Flexo printing can be done on a thin PP Spunbond nonwoven fabric.

is there anything other printing technology which can have high quality printing on thin Nonwoven fabric? (Result similar to Rotogravure printing on plastic film)?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back