What shows do you go to?

Greg_Firestone

Hi everyone,

It seems like it's harder than ever to get budget to go to trade shows these days. Just curious which events you (or your company) plan on attending.

Greg

We're going to Graphics of the Americas in Miami next week. First show I've been to since Mailcom in Atlantic City in 2008 so I understand the budget thing.

I am in the same boat, haven't been to any shows since Mailcom, last Mailcom I went to was when they switched to DC instead of Atlantic City, it was a joke and I have stopped going.

This year I am going to try hitting NPF in Nashville, hoping to see quite a bit of equipment on the floor like the old Mailcom days.

...last Mailcom I went to was when they switched to DC instead of Atlantic City, it was a joke...

We had a lot of fun at Graphics of the Americas in Miami. No, not Miami that part sucked. The show was more fun and interesting then I expected. Saw the coolest self-mail converter from a manufacturer in Brazil. The seminar I attended was far better than I had anticipated (it was about mobile media marketing). We plan on going to two more this year - Mailcom and SGIA. Mailcom is in Philly this year and since we are less than an hour away, it's a no brainer. Problem is, if you want to attend even one conference/class/seminar, you have to pay for the whole damn day at $400 per person! No a la carte apparently.

I go to GraphExpo each year. I went to GOA the two times that it was in Orlando mostly for the seminars, the floor was weak.

I'm in Florida so it just makes it easier for me. My biggest complaint is that the food options in Orlando suck unless you are into the worlds largest Olive Garden.

Mailcom is in Philly this year and since we are less than an hour away, it's a no brainer. Problem is, if you want to attend even one conference/class/seminar, you have to pay for the whole damn day at $400 per person! No a la carte apparently.

How was Mailcom this year?

I'm in Florida so it just makes it easier for me. My biggest complaint is that the food options in Orlando suck unless you are into the worlds largest Olive Garden.

I beg to differ! Orlando is becoming one of the world's epicenters of culinary pleasures. In the tourist section (where the Expo will be taking place) Emeril Lagasse has two restaurants, Masaharu Morimoto has a restaurant, there are several Brazilian Steak Houses (all you can eat different cuts of steak, pork, lamb, etc right off the grill), not to mention all the celebrity chef restaurants around the Disney area. Moving out of the tourist corridor, the Orlando area has some of the most unique farm-to-table eating establishments serving up everything from fresh-caught seafood, to Aged beef. Look me up when you get down here, I don't particularly enjoy going down to the tourist section, but, I'll show you where the locals go to eat.

Mailguru: Do you think there will be much mailing equipment at this years show?

I doubt it. I've never been to a GraphExpo, but, I have been to the Graphics Of The Americas shows, both here in Orlando, and, down in Miami, since they are relatively close to me. Usually its more about print, packaging, and bindery and several software vendors. You will probably see several digital packaging & all-encompassing inline mailing & finishing solutions, since, that seems to be "what's happenin' now". Over the past 5 years or so, I've noticed a movement in the mailing equipment industry to try and simplify the finishing processes (inserters front-ended with folders, cutters, etc.). I sincerely hope that some mail equipment vendors will be there (Bell & Howell, Pitney Bowes, etc.). I would assume that Xerox, Ricoh, KM, Cannon, Oce', HP, etc will be there showing their latest and greatest. Then you'll have several wide format exhibits. On the light production/office class end, I'm sure they'll be several offerings also. I haven't heard if they'll be a "Landa Standa" around, but, that would be interesting..................

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back