What would you charge for this job?

Prices for stock, supplies, labor and overhead all vary over different markets, so naturally the price for a particular job is going to vary from place to place, especially since not all shops have the same equipment.

Who can tell me how much of their cost contributes to overhead?

I think you and I have went over this before but I'll bite. For our outside printing, our overhead is $0. Our only cost are labor and direct material (clicks and paper).

I think you and I have went over this before but I'll bite. For our outside printing, our overhead is $0. Our only cost are labor and direct material (clicks and paper).

I find humor in this only because my owner has the same stance and we have this conversation at least quarterly.

So if 100% of your business was outside printing, would you have 0% overhead or would you still need a computer, telephone, electricity, desk space, local business license, and office supplies?

Today when you look at labor and direct materials do you include workers comp/payroll tax/benefits in your hourly rate?

I find humor in this only because my owner has the same stance and we have this conversation at least quarterly.

So if 100% of your business was outside printing, would you have 0% overhead or would you still need a computer, telephone, electricity, desk space, local business license, and office supplies?

Today when you look at labor and direct materials do you include workers comp/payroll tax/benefits in your hourly rate?

If all we did was outside printing, then yes, I would have to shift the OH from the other department to my printing department. But as it stands, our publications department covers all overhead associated with the printing. Payroll, taxes, machine lease, electricity, ect.

The only time I add additional overhead into the printing department is when we get additional equipment until it is paid off.

But there is no need to add OH into my printing departments prices when it is already added into the other departments OH. Otherwise I would just be running up the cost on outside work.

Interesting, the publication department doesn't take a cut of your departments profits on the P&L?

If that is the case then you are in a very interesting position from a print provider standpoint. You still have the expense, just a different cost center is covering them for you if I'm reading this correctly.

Interesting, the publication department doesn't take a cut of your departments profits on the P&L?

If that is the case then you are in a very interesting position from a print provider standpoint. You still have the expense, just a different cost center is covering them for you if I'm reading this correctly.

Yes you are reading it correctly. I brought the printing in house a year ago. Since then, the the publication department operates as it has for the past 30 years, but now doesn't outsource the printing. I run the press and binding for the publications, and in turn the lease, electricity, ect OH is covered by the publications department. So instead of paying another company for our printing, we pay ourselves, which by bringing it in house we were able to save enough to cover the cost of the additional OH we incured with bring the printing in house. So therefore, the only Cost I have are paper, clicks, and my generally only my labor.

FYI $7,649.00 to print it here. No rush charges added either, but for that turn around we would add 10%.

Hey, someone else came up an idea for a section of the forum so people could see what others would charge for similar jobs. Here's one job I had come across my plate I would like your opinion on:

Qty 800
84 Page Booklets
8.375 x 10.875"
80# Text Xpri Digital Gloss (12 x 18)
4:4 and Bleeds Thoughout
Spiral Bound (8 mm)

File is supplied on Friday at 6 pm and job must be packaged and ready to go at noon on Monday. Let me know what you think and what machines you will use to accomplish said job. Also normal turnaround no rush pricing.

We would print on our 28x40 press... :) In my opinion that's too large to print on digital printer, BUT, if we had to do it... $12,500 We are open 24/7 and have a full bindery, so delivery is no problem and we have plenty of stock, supplies, and manpower.

Prices for stock, supplies, labor and overhead all vary over different markets, so naturally the price for a particular job is going to vary from place to place, especially since not all shops have the same equipment.

It would be nice if everyone stated the area they are in since that makes a difference in the price. And if you could mention if you had done similar jobs in the past and at what price, that would give everyone a rough idea of market value of a particular product/service. (I know, I know, 'But every job is different!') I wouldn't even quote this job because I don't think I could get it done in time plus I don't have any coil binding equipment.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back