what would you do if you werent printing

spigot

if i had an aooportunity to do another apprenticeship, i would probably go more for the engineering aspect and do mechanical engineering training. But thats not possible to change after you have a job, mortgage etc so stuck with it! not that its all bad. Nor all good either.
So just putting it out there, what would printers do if it wasnt for printing?

Photographer........think there having an equally crap time of it.......every jerk like me with a semi pro camera is calling themselves a Pro photographer.

A.

Fishing . . . and welcoming at Wal Mart . . I',m too damn old to train for another craft . . might go around and consult/freelance for the small shops that can't afford a pre-press pro to figure out the problems we all seem to run into and pick up some work there, maybe a little web work for friends . . . . other than that a little wood working, motorcycle riding, and turning bourbon into urine would be a good thing to learn instead of another trade.

You sound like your in a bit of a rut, and i know exactly how you feel! I'm just a little bit over doing the same shit every day......ok it might be different print jobs but its still the same ol' same ol' :(

Every week i'm finding it a little harder to get motivated and really enjoy my job, and feel that no matter how hard i work or how hard i try, how efficient i am or how well i do my job, i am not going to get any more money, and its starting to feel awfully dead end to me.

For a change of career, it would be working in engineering and building of after market modified vehicles, be it street or race preperation. I used to part time doing it, and built most of my own motors, and designed some pretty quick packages. Its something i love doing, but getting into it now would be foolhardy at best methinks :(

If I weren't in the print business (graphics and supervising) I would like to do something that would make a difference in peoples lives. Helping get a program out on time or creating a great looking design just doesn't cut it anymore. I think so many years in one industry will burn anyone out unless they have a real passion for the work and can use their skills and creativity to keep the work interesting and expand their options.

It's hard imagining not working in print but I may not have a choice soon. Not really willing to relocate and all the jobs around here just suck or are gone. My hobby turned obsession has been gardening. I have been considering starting a small nursery to support my habit and make a little money. The business side doesn't look very fun. That's why I'm still sitting at my desk right now.

Oh and the cooking school sounds awesome. I have always been curious about that.

Gardening. Have you checked out Mike McGroarty? He has two main websites, Really Cool Gardening site, free gardening Ebook, free potting bench plans, grow your own plants for free (devoted to his gardening features) and homemadebooklets.com (which focuses on self-publishing and internet marketing). He's always talking about how much money can be made on the side by selling plants.

That's a tough question, and timely. Let's face it - many printers will lose their jobs forever over these rough years...and printing will never be the same.

My answer? A better dad. In fact, I'm going to do that regardless of where printing does or doesn't take me. That's the job I really love these days. Printing is still rewarding...but owning the shop sure isn't any longer.

WW

Actually I have seen some of the McGroarty videos and have the free book. I don't know whether to praise him (he shows how to grow lots of plants and sell them) or curse him (gardening for the dollar kills the joy of growing). Wait, maybe I just become a pitchman. There's good money in that right. There's a reality show about it so that means it's a legitimate career. "Buy my system and make a million dollars by the end of the year."

Well, I currently teach piano lessons in the afternoons. Guess if I wasn't in the industry I would need to pick up a few more students and find someplace to jam on the weekends that paid.

Some really great answers. Especially the guys who are looking at "growing plants" to de-stress and take their minds off it all hahaha!

Id also be keen in doing what gaz440 said doing cars and engines but you need a degree in electrical engineering just to open the hood on these things.
And the new genration saying "look at my prius's awesome upgrade battery pack, its got an extra 8 minutes at full throttle" Really doesnt do it for me like
"check out this turbo, itll suck in your neighbours cat" did before there was legislation all over everything.
Was thinking about joining the constabulary for a while but thats probably more if the same again

Some really great answers. Especially the guys who are looking at "growing plants" to de-stress and take their minds off it all hahaha!

Id also be keen in doing what gaz440 said doing cars and engines but you need a degree in electrical engineering just to open the hood on these things.
And the new genration saying "look at my prius's awesome upgrade battery pack, its got an extra 8 minutes at full throttle" Really doesnt do it for me like
"check out this turbo, itll suck in your neighbours cat" did before there was legislation all over everything.
Was thinking about joining the constabulary for a while but thats probably more if the same again

Totally agree with ya there mate! I remember when "tuning" your car was getting it to run well with the biggest Holley carb you could find.... and you did that by changing jets and mucking round with timing till it overpowered the tyres in top gear :) Now its laptops and Apexi hand controllers and more boost and cubic dollars.... but they have missed the point of proper big cube 8000rpm engines this generation of "hoons" and very few can do it themselves..

Funnily enough i also considered joining the force too, but somehow think my past may disallow that :p Another thought was joining the Australian Defence Force be it Army or Navy... but 2 knee reconstructions, several eye surgeries and a shoulder in desperate need of some rings and bearings will probably see me fail the physical.... let alone the mental checks lol :D

Chiropractor. People are happy you can help them feel better. Kind of like how friendly people are while on vacation.

Event Organizer on a Cruise Ship Line. Long hours and I'm guessing they pay isn't great but what a great way to see the World.

Beats staring at a computer screen all day.

Jackie

For some reason, the idea of working in an adult literacy program has always come to mind for me. I just think it would be a satisfying experience to see people who have fallen through the cracks of our educational system brighten their futures in this way.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back