Whatever Can Happen............

MailGuru

Ok, Friday afternoon, and, you all know how I get on that last hour of the week............

Reaching wayyyyyyyyy back in my memory from my contract programming days, I remember getting a chuckle or two from a small novelty book that I saw at a bookstore referencing "Murphy's Laws". You know, it all starts with "Whatever can happen, will happen, and, at the worst possible moment." In computer programming terms, it meant that you should spend an excessively amount of time in your design to try an anticpate everything that could go wrong with your program, but, I remember several being relative to other indutries, and life in general.

Here are a couple that I still remember:

1) The odds of the bread falling buttered side down, is directly related to the cost of the carpet.
2) If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.
3) Design a system that even a fool can use, and, only a fool will want to use it.

So, I wondered what "Murphy's Laws" would look like, in relation to the Prepress, Printing, Binding, Finsihing industry.

Here's one:

1) The color quality of a direct mail piece is inversely proportional to its importance.

When you respond and make one up, let's put it in the thread as attributable to the forum responder.

Ex: MailGuru's Law Of Inverse Importance: The color quality of a direct mail piece is inversely proportional to its importance.

Have Fun With It!

-Best

MailGuru

Last edited:
The smaller the job, the more proofs required by the customer. I've had up to 12 proofs on a business card!

The importance to the customer of reprinting a job due to errors is dependent almost entirely on whether or not the error turns out to be their fault.

I count count how often this has happened to us. The customer notices a problem with a job we delivered. They get all indignant and demand a reprint or discount. Then we point out that the files were supplied and approved that way and all of a sudden it isn't a big deal.

If you run a job as soon as you receive, customer will call asking if you have run it- they need to make changes. If you wait awhile before running it, customer will call wondering why it isn't done yet.

The customer whose files require the most time to make work will be the first to upgrade to the newest software version.

People who call on Thursday at closing time with a rush job that they HAVE to have before the weekend will not pick up the finished job before next Tuesday.

If you run a job as soon as you receive, customer will call asking if you have run it- they need to make changes. If you wait awhile before running it, customer will call wondering why it isn't done yet.

A production manager of a plant where I worked, used to tell customers on phone that their job is being printed, In reality the plates did not left prepress at that time.

MailGuru's Law of Gravitational Displacement: When fixing any piece of equipment, the screw or bolt that you just removed will slip and fall, into the smallest crevice, at the very bottom of the machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back