What's the general opinion on the Presstek Dimension 400

GusG

I've been doing pre-press (film) in Uganda but the price of film has shot through the roof and it's very competitive so it's really time to look at CTP.

I came across a Presstek Dimension 400 and was wondering what the general opinion is of these machines. Also, what are there advantages/disadvantages over the process free plates compared to plates that need developing.

I can't speak for the 400 specifically, but we had an 800 that was nothing but problems. The pressmen hated the plates - they needed too much water on press.

There are other chem-free plates available from Fuji, Kodak, and Agfa (I'm sure there are others, too, but those are the Big 3). We switched to an Agfa Avalon CTP device (it's really a Screen unit with the Agfa branding slapped on) and Agfa Azura TS chem-free plates and are very pleased with the results.

The main advantage of chem-free plates is that you don't have to worry about any conductivity settings of chemistry, thereby eliminating another variable when problems arise on press. It also requires a smaller footprint for the equipment. The Azura TS plate does require a scrubber/gummer, but it is small and easy to clean.

Some chem-free plates have a very low-contrast image when they come out and don't clean up until they are on press, which can make troubleshooting and quality control more challenging. Others are higher-contrast, allowing you to see the image before handing the plates off to the pressmen.

For the most part you can mix and match CTP units and plate manufacturers, so your hands are not tied if you decide to change plates down the road.

Given your location, you might want to consider service, support & spare parts availability with any CTP/plate solution you encounter!

Given your location, you might want to consider service, support & spare parts availability with any CTP/plate solution you encounter!

Indeed. Part of what I'm trying to figure out is if this machine is fairly reliable or it needs technicians looking at it every other day. I've had good success keeping my imagesetters going despite there being no local support.

We ran two Dimension 400s side by side from 2001 to 2008. Imaged the Anthem plate for years and then tried the Aurora. The two machines performed well. Our work volume increased to the point where we basically wore them out. Got to where it seemed as though we were zone balancing the lasers all of the time. Placed a Screen 4300 on our floor in 2008. I've always been partial to Screen equipment. Great platesetter. We're currently imaging the Fuji LH-PJ plate. Also, imaged Agfa Azura plates a while back for 2 months. As someone posted earlier, the Azura is a great plate also.

Please make sure that you are talking about a chemistry free or Process free technology. A process free does not process the plates at all after exposing from the CTP device, while a chemistry free needs a processing but without any chemicals. Agfa can provide you the best solution where the gum used here is nutral in pH, no fresh water required, no drainage required, stable reprodution of the plates since there is no developer involved, thus there is no temp. control, replenish rate issues...etc which are the main elements determines the stability.

Thanks

Hi
I have had a Dimension 412 for 4 years, only issue was a failed Mech controller board, this failed on the first machine we had from Presstek, a real dog that they replaced under warranty (think it was worn out when we got it as a 'refurbished machine', other than that its been fanatastic. Dampening is an issue with these plates if you do not use the correct fount solution from Prisco 2831 ?, once we changed to this it transformed the printing machine, Anthem Pro plates have a ceramic coating instead of a straight anodised aluminium surface and it does no hold water as well hence the need for a thixotropic fount solution. Very fast to image, 2.5 mins per B2 plate, no chemistry, small footprint, suits our production perfectly. Outstanding image quality.
FlyBoy270

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back