Whats up with preset pdf setting in InDesign???

dabob

Something that has been bugging me for a while but just got around to asking . . . I have a number of presets for pdf exports in InDesign and when I use one and change the page range to page 1 for example, the setting sticks so instead of getting all the pages on the next file exported I just get one . . . Why doesn't the pre-set stay at the original setting?

Also when using a ID file to create a new file sometimes the filename reverts to the original filename for the pdf export . . . aggravating but not bad enough for me to look at going back to Quack . . .

"Also when using a ID file to create a new file sometimes the filename reverts to the original filename for the pdf export

Solution - either change the name in the 'Save as' field to what it should be, which is what caused the problem to begin with, or you can export the document as an INX, reopen it, save it with the correct filename and then export as a PDF. Then even if you copy the document and rename the document in the finder, it will export with the correct filename.

source

Maas . . . yeah . . . but most of the time I'm going so fast I hardly have time to find the proof directory let alone check the file name . . . I know haste makes waste - but it would be nice if it was consistent . . .:)

Page range is apparently NOT part of the saved stuff for a pdf preset. (I have the same issues!). For the file naming, if you just put in the first part of the filename, you get a list of the existing files in that folder that start the same, can pick the one you want, then EDIT THE FILE TYPE EXTENSION, if needed (still not always needed on Macs). I find that a bit safer than trying to type the whole name new.

Thanks . . . at least now i know that it's just not me . . . and I guess I will just continue to be aggravated . . . it would be nice if there were some prefs we could set to fit our own workflow or if the issues would be consistent . . .

Also when using a ID file to create a new file sometimes the filename reverts to the original filename for the pdf export . . . aggravating but not bad enough for me to look at going back to Quack . . .

...would be nice if it was consistent . . .:)

When I first started using InDesign, the behavior seemed random but I eventually figured out that it's not.

When you create a new InDesign document and export a PFD, the name of the PDF will default to the name of the InDesign document, as long as no changes are made to the name of the PDF during export. This means that you can close the InDesign document, change the name of the file, open the document again and when you export a PDF, the name will default to the new name of the InDesign document.

But...if you change the name of the PDF during export, that name will become the default for all future exports from that document, regardless of what the document in named.

InDesign does not always use the current filename for the pdf the first time you make one after re-naming the InDesign file, probably depending on just how you re-name it.

Otherwise, yes, that is consistent; pdf stuff in general likes to do the same thing as the last time, whether printing from Acrobat or exporting from InDesign. We just don't necessarily always like it that way! (Quitting the app, shutting down/re-starting the computer, etc, often resets to the "defaults", depending on the program...)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back