When did you first join PrintPlanet?

gordo

David Mainwaring created the first forum for CTP users on PrintPlanet.com in 1996 - and that's when I signed up. At the time I was helping to convert a Scitex prepress workflow to a PostScript workflow at western Canada's largest sheetfed printer and had recently seen CtP demonstrated at the Seybold Conference in San Francsico so I was hungry for information. (Creo received the Seybold Editor's award that year for Thermal Plate Imaging Technology)

When did you join and why?

Apparently I joined 10-22-2007, time does fly.
PrintPlanet has aways offered a view into the print world from a broad perspective, showing real world issues, news, and concerns in the industry. So often we only see/hear about the software and equipment we use/sell/support, it's great to gain insight to the rest of the industry through real users. It's no nonsense (ok, occasional nonsense) postings and comments are informative and helpful. The quality of responses and the professionalism are generally top notch and with a real sense of colleagues helping and supporting each other. I like that.

Last edited:
I joined in about 2000. Mainly to find others who were interested in developing new ideas and technology related to making offset lithography more consistent and predictable with my knowledge and their resources. :) Unfortunately I did not find them. :-(

Back in '96 i was discovering that my freehand skills-and i'm not talking about macromedia now- wouldn't provide me any descent living-if any kind of living at all.
So i made a more technical oriented turn and after the death of service bureaus i entered the world of print,and found printplanet-2008-
I'm not a nostalgic kind of guy,never miss drumscanners or film-i shoot a little on professional basis as well- but i think that service bureaus environment was a much better place to work at!

David Mainwaring created the first forum for CTP users on PrintPlanet.com in 1996 - and that's when I signed up. At the time I was helping to convert a Scitex prepress workflow to a PostScript workflow at western Canada's largest sheetfed printer and had recently seen CtP demonstrated at the Seybold Conference in San Francsico so I was hungry for information. (Creo received the Seybold Editor's award that year for Thermal Plate Imaging Technology)

When did you join and why?
Paul White brought this thread to my attention. Gordo and the other plank owners made the forum work. I have set up Uncle Dave Mainwaring with my bio and some stuff about how this all got started. 19 years it doesn't seem possible. My many thanks to Paul for keeping it going.

Joined the forum January 2008, looking for answers to some technical questions and learned a WHOLE lot more. To all, thanks for sharing your expertise.

I found this site in August of 2011 when I was searching for a resolution with an issue I was having with an Epson 7800 Printer.
Since then this site has served as an excellent reference tool.

I'm a believer !

I'm a believer !

Hello fellow Lithographers,

I joined in the year 2008 via Gordo.

"From knowledge to competence is a great step -- from ignorance to competence an even greater one"

Regards, Alois

Dave - read your bio - thanks for writing it. My heart goes out to you as you take care of your wife. My wife was in a serious roll-over accident over 4 months ago and is still in recovery. I know what kind of energy it takes to help nurse a loved one. Sending you positive energy filled thoughts.

P.S - I have been a member since 2007 - great forum!!!!

I think I joined in 2008. I had been lurking for quite a while before that. I finally joined when i found out that I actually had something to contribute. I've only worked for very small companies, so I thought I was outclassed here, but I found that I can help from time to time.

I joined in 2010. Although I have not posted much but it has been always a great source of knowledge for me. Great forum....

I agree, I've been in this industry for 40+ years mostly as an operator. I have enjoyed watching the change...I started out on a letterpress web and then to sheet fed offset and on to heatset web and now back to sheet fed..
What a difference 70s equipment compared to todays. lithographic offset is the best. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back