Which envelope feeder for a Quickmaster-46?

Re: Which envelope feeder for a Quickmaster-46?

Dave,

Great to hear you were able to make things work. Astro makes a great product. The QM DI is a great machine also.
Best of luck with your Astro. Being a service tech I offer you any help I can.

Regards
OG

I bought the Asto for the original style QuickMaster 2/46 from Popkin in NYC. The separator fingers that protrude on the QM when running flat sheets prevent the Astro from attaching to the press because they come in contact with the plate on the front of the Astro. I've called both Astro and Popkin several times without getting this issue resolved. As a result, the unit has been sitting unused for years!

I don't know if this has been rectified on newer style QM's or the PrintMaster, but the Astro is useless on an older QuickMaster!

I've heard that Suspension Feeder has a new and improved universal feeder. I'm sure I'll be promised wonders when calling the company...does anyone have any experience with them?

Aren't these sheet separators easily removed? Seems very odd that the feeder should sit unused for years just for this reason alone.

We finally have our Astro and we've got it running pretty good with our Quickmaster (haven't tried the QMDI yet).

My only questions are:

1. Is this thing supposed to be this loud? Loud smacking sound for each envelope fed. Not from the envelope hitting the front of the feeder, but from underneath the feeder - can't pinpoint the origin. It's probably normal, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with our machine. Earplugs are definitely going to me a must.

2. What is the best speed you are getting out of yours? We get it up to about 7800 press speed, then it can't keep up with the press. I've seen claims of these feeders being good for 10,000, but I can't see how its possible.

Edited by: bgrubb7 on Mar 6, 2008 12:31 PM

We are running the Suspension Feeder on a QM46 2 in Australia and it runs pretty well. Can be temperamental, Envelopes need to be aired and loaded perfectly. Obviously better for longer runs.

The first day we ran we did about 20,000 envelopes in about 5 hours ( 3 different setups )

We modified the plate at the front, to centre the unit into the feeder for the QM and moved the pile sensor out of the way of the QM46 2 Feeder. ( Not touching, but to close for comfort )

Tried to enquire about the Thompson or the Astro in Australia, not interested in this country.

" What is it? What's it do? How did you get our number? The guy who looks after it is out of the country"......... Just ordered the Suspension Feeder from Chicago, it was easier.

Andrew

hey there have been running envelopes on the qm for approx 5 years . we have just purchased a new qmdi and use our suspension feeder on that as well . when we purchased our second feeder we tried to find the older style with the crank that adjusts the width simultaneously but couldn't locate one we figured we would try an astro feeder. i have to say sorry , what a piece of junk , i run about 5 million env. per year and i honestly don't think that light weight p.o.s. could handle one month of the volume i run . it is extremely loud and within the two week period i tested it the rubber roller was already showing signs of wear .as well the front plate is very poorly made, lightweight might be a better description. i informed the astro rep to please pick it up because it couldn't do the job. i dont mean to speak for everyone but i can only conclude that the people who prefer the astro run a small volume of env. or have never seen a suspension working well. i have no problem running 20000 without stopping at full speed and if it does foul up it dosent cost me a blanket which the astro has a tendency too. you have to beware ,as i said in the beginning though there are 2 models of the suspension feeder, i definitely endorse the earlier model than the newer one, it has preset markers as well as dual width controls if you see one on ebay buy it cause ive never seen anyone sell one before, they are a workhorse thanks

Edited by: John on Mar 9, 2008 4:51 PM

The feeders with synchronized side guides are still available.

Edited by: troessner on May 29, 2008 10:35 PM

I kind of vote with Offset Guy. Sure a Jet's way more expensive, but depending on the volume and what you're printing, it might be worth it. Plus, you could be freeing up your QM for other work.

I don't begrudge someone trying to get by on the cheap, but sometimes I think the printing biz fosters an attitude of, yeah, we'll take any work we can get, and the reality maybe that it's costing you more to do it than you think. The best thing may be to say no. You don't see a lot of specialized printers going out of business compared to "commercial" shops...

Some days it seems like there's people trying to use a Mazda Miata like a UPS delivery truck.

Quickmaster 46 Feeder

Quickmaster 46 Feeder

I am in need of the user manual for the envelope feeder manufactured by Suspension Feeders and sold by Heidelberg with the QM-46-2 in the past. If anyone has a copy I would appreciated if a copy or by pdf can be passed on to me. Tahnk You

We have an Astro feeder and love it on our Ryobi 3200 and 2800. It is a great little feeder. Tried to hook it up to our QMDI but the angle required and a bar wont allow it to match up to feed. We have tried altering several things but still no luck. Brian

QM-46 Suspension Feeder

QM-46 Suspension Feeder

Please can you assist me in sharing this video or pdf file to show how to setup the QM-46 Suspension Feeder. Thanks

If you are running large envelope runs I would bite the bullet and buy a Halm Jet. You can get productoin numbers easily in the 20,000 an hour and you can also regular jobs with ease as well (60 lb. offest at 15,000 IPH two sided) these presses also perfect. We have two the newest is the Halm Super Jet Plus XL max. sheet size is 15x18.125. We have an astro and a strate flo I not impressed with either. Using the stock feed table on any of our QM46-2 or QMDI Pro i can easily print envelopes @ 8000 IPH. My two cents worth

3rd and Best Choice for Feeder on QM's

3rd and Best Choice for Feeder on QM's

Have you heard of the C-9000 feeder built by Press Specialties? It is a universal feeder that will mount on any press that has a sucker bar for feeding. I have installed them on Heidelberg QM's 1 and 2 color presses, RYOBI presses, AB DICK presses, this feeder is able to hook up to all the machines I just mentioned. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I am a factory trained service mechanic who worked for AB Dick for 10 years and Heidelberg for 5 years.

We use the C-9000 on our QM. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's a great feeder. We do everything from 6 3/4 remits to 9 x 12's.

Press Specialties

Press Specialties

Our guys have not used the Astro, but our Press Specialties C9000 does what it is supposed to - run envelopes. I would highly suggest purchasing the conveyor output for the end of the QM 46 as it makes it pretty much a continuous stream front to back. We use this on two 46-2's and a 46-1 and it just rolls up and runs. We used it also on our 3302 before that went away.

And most of our clients scoff at jet work, so having an effective way to print quality envelopes is a necessity for us, not a novelty.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back