Who to contact for Upgrading our Preps

Chasfinch

Hello Kodak

We have sent emails and calls. We have never been contacted. We are looking into options for either Upgrading Preps (5.2) or new software. I thought I would give one last shot here as my boss is asking for all options.

Figuring in this forum people know people or the company has a rep floating around.

Where are you based?

Hello Kodak

We have sent emails and calls. We have never been contacted. We are looking into options for either Upgrading Preps (5.2) or new software. I thought I would give one last shot here as my boss is asking for all options.

Figuring in this forum people know people or the company has a rep floating around.

I had very bad response also. I don't remember who or where he was located, but the lone salesperson was away at a conference and it took many calls to reach him. I was under the impression that v5.3 would not run on my 10.6 Mac. The sales guy of course told me the same thing. We purchased the upgrade to Preps 6, only to find an answer on these very forums about how to easily continue with 5.3. In truth, Preps 6 looks interesting, but we don't have a lot of time to retrain on new mission-critical software.

10.6 right now also. Issue is we might be upgrading workstations to the new PowerMacs.. who knows what will happen then

10.6 right now also. Issue is we might be upgrading workstations to the new PowerMacs.. who knows what will happen then

Preps 5.3 won't run on 10.7 or higher, the OS doesn't support PowerPC-based software. It ran fine on 10.5 here, which is what we had. We moved to Mac Pros running 10.8, and we have Preps 7 now, though it's new and we haven't learned it yet. We're using the Xitron Sierra RIP, which has an imposition module built in. We may not need Preps in the long run, but would still like to become functional with it. I can see some potential advantages.

Preps 5.3 won't run on 10.7 or higher, the OS doesn't support PowerPC-based software. It ran fine on 10.5 here, which is what we had. We moved to Mac Pros running 10.8, and we have Preps 7 now, though it's new and we haven't learned it yet. We're using the Xitron Sierra RIP, which has an imposition module built in. We may not need Preps in the long run, but would still like to become functional with it. I can see some potential advantages.

Is it possible to buy Preps 7 for PC and run it on Windows Server 2003? Our old Mac with Preps 5.2 is dying. We're looking for a way to install it on another machine. We have the 5.1 disks but no update software to 5.2.

Windows Server 2003 is set to meet the same fate as Windows XP next July as Microsoft will end all support of it so I would hesitate about installing anything on that OS for the long term. But you could put it on Windows 7 or 8.1 or Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

If you cannot find what you are looking for with Kodak I'd be happy to talk to you about switching to Metrix.

To replace Preps and other legacy systems, you should consider Impostrip. We offer 7 different versions with advanced features. Pricing is much more competitive then EFI Metrix and others. We are an independent software developer. Contact us for a free consultation and for a trial license.

Ray Duval
Ultimate TechnoGraphics
raymond @ imposition.com

We are also looking to upgrade our Preps 5.3.3 because we want to get new Macs. I sent an email on the Preps contact page and got call with a quote 2 days later, located in the Midwest. Not cheap!! And we have 2 licenses.
Not sure what we want to do but may move to Apogee impositions modules for sheetfed and web. We have Metrix but just cant seem to get it to work for our Web presses.

For Preps 6 you'd need Service Pack 2 and a minimum of 1GB RAM; haven't seen the requirement for Preps 7. The brochure doesn't state it for whatever reason.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back