Why arent any of the latest Benq Displays on this list of Gracol Certified Displays ?

manishbjain

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy a reliable display for Soft Proofing and was skimming through this list of Gracol Certified Displays but was surprised to see no latest Benq displays on the list. I could only see PG2401PT which according to a Benq Associate is an obsolete model.

Does it mean no display from Benq is suitable enough for the Soft Proofing ?

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy a reliable display for Soft Proofing and was skimming through this list of Gracol Certified Displays but was surprised to see no latest Benq displays on the list. I could only see PG2401PT which according to a Benq Associate is an obsolete model.

Does it mean no display from Benq is suitable enough for the Soft Proofing ?
If this is your info source: Soft Proofing Certified Systems - Idealliance it appears that they certify systems rather than specific displays. Also that they haven't updated much of the info in over 10 years. Most of the links on the site don't work. They give this contact info for information: [email protected] or (703) 837-1096.

If this is your info source: Soft Proofing Certified Systems - Idealliance it appears that they certify systems rather than specific displays. Also that they haven't updated much of the info in over 10 years. Most of the links on the site don't work. They give this contact info for information: [email protected] or (703) 837-1096.
Thanks @gordo,

I dont understand why no update for the last few years. Let me check with them on the email they have provided.

From another point of view, the GRACOL 2006 icc profile, when viewed in Colorthink Pro against in my case a profile for my NEC PA301,
is essentially within the gamut area encompassed by the icc profile for my monitor, with a couple miniscule pieces outside. I would be
willing to bet that if you chose a Benq model like the PD2720U which is spec'd to have 99% Adobe RGB coverage, you would be fine.

From another point of view, the GRACOL 2006 icc profile, when viewed in Colorthink Pro against in my case a profile for my NEC PA301,
is essentially within the gamut area encompassed by the icc profile for my monitor, with a couple miniscule pieces outside. I would be
willing to bet that if you chose a Benq model like the PD2720U which is spec'd to have 99% Adobe RGB coverage, you would be fine.
What's your take on Benq SW270C which claims to have the 99 percent. Would it be good enough for soft proofing my print work ?

Looks like it should be based on Adobe 99% and GRACOL 2006.

You do need to make sure that you can do a good monitor profile with a color measurement
device and profiling software.

We have a Benq PG2401PT, around 10 years of age. While the display itself is in mint condition, Benq doesn't support it in the new version of the calibration software (Palette Master). Apple, with the forced 64 bit transition made the (old) software unusable on the Mac platform. On top of that, while the gamut is right, the microstructure of the screen is not on par with an EIZO, and is a real pain to use after an NEC or a Quato.

All in all, I would stay away from the Benq brand.

We have a Benq PG2401PT, around 10 years of age. While the display itself is in mint condition, Benq doesn't support it in the new version of the calibration software (Palette Master). Apple, with the forced 64 bit transition made the (old) software unusable on the Mac platform. On top of that, while the gamut is right, the microstructure of the screen is not on par with an EIZO, and is a real pain to use after an NEC or a Quato.

Quato Displays are not available here in India. What model of Eizo would you suggest that's the best for color proofing and still in budget.

You're basing your opinion of an entire company on a ten year old monitor? How many of these companies get their panels from the same manufacturer?

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
Does it make sense for 'printers' to hash out the market / product situation regarding high end monitors?
We are a niche industry and we need good information about high end monitors, yes.
People who make a living using said monitors have whole information systems devoted to said 'hashing.'
If you or someone has access to the relevant information sources it would seem to be useful as a discussion.
Or maybe, as the OP mentioned, what do people think of particular monitors in our market?

You're basing your opinion of an entire company on a ten year old monitor? How many of these companies get their panels from the same manufacturer?
The monitor may be 10 years old, but the manufacturer still exists. They don't answer (repeated) e-mails. Even their local dealer here can not squeeze out an answer from the mothership, regarding support. Why should I suggest anyone to buy anything from such a company? Is there any warranty, that a brand new Benq display (sold today) would be supported in a reasonable lifespan?

I agree with what you are saying. I have had my run-ins with poor product support, it's just that at a certain point it becomes unreasonable for you to expect support for a monitor after 10 years.

I would agree with you, if there is an unsurmountable technical barrier would have been show up for some reason. But there is no such barrier in this technology. The display is connected via USB to the computer. The USB is still present on the computers. The UART chip handling the USB connection inside the display has up-to-date Mac and Windows drivers available (thanks to the manufacturer, which - who knows why - still cares for 10+ years old chips).

I think it's pure (sales) politics. This is how they make things artifically obsolete.

The 10 years old EIZO on the other desk still gets regular updates, we're calubrating it with the latest, version 7 ColorNavigator.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back