Why do Americans...

gordo

...say "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less" which is usually what is meant?

By saying they "could care less" they're actually saying that there is some degree of care. For example, your customer says "I could care less about your press problem" means that they do care somewhat but retain the option of reducing their level of caring. Your customer is showing some compassion.

However, by saying "couldn't care less" one is expressing the fact that the level of caring the user has is zero. For example, your customer says "I couldn't care less about your press problem" means that they don't care at all about your problem. Your customer is showing that they're stone cold tough hearted.

best, gordon p

nit nit nit . . . lol . .. for the same reason we ask the person sitting next to an empty chair if its taken when its obviously empty . . . don't you just love the American version of English!!!!

I couldn't care less about "could care" vs "couldn't care" but if a vendor said that to me it would be the last interaction we had, ditto if it was my employee speaking to a customer.

And when did "no problem" replace "you're welcome" as a response to a thank you? "You're welcome" indicates that the recipient appreciates your gratitude for a job well done. "No problem" says the work they did to earn the thank you had no real value, hence you didn't really need to thank them for it.

Mark H

Yeah, and on that note, can someone tell me what the difference is between mostly cloudy and partly sunny? and vice versa. LOL

You know how Canada was named don't you? They picked the letters out of a hat...

C...ay, N...ay, D...ay

Bunch of Hosers. Co roo koo koo koo koo koo koo.

quote Bunch of Hosers. Co roo koo koo koo koo koo koo.

was it bob and doug- love that 12 days of christmas

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back